Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013’s Chowdown
Oh, it’s 9/11. Were we supposed to do something today?
If you’re as befuddled as me as to if we should treat this day with some sort of special reverence 12 years on, fear not. The Lowdown reveals that Humboldt offers you a myriad of ways to publicly commemorate today’s quasi-holiday. Or, if you choose, not. Here’s your options:
- Wave a Flag: If you’d like to be swept up in a patriotic fervor, the citizens of Fortuna will ramp up the reds, the whites and the blues during a noon 9/11 Memorial Parade down Main Street. Event planners encourage the community to bring flags, but there will likely be extra if you’re flush out.
- Support Your Community: Regular Lowdown perusers are no stranger to the savvy Pints For Nonprofits design: drink beer, like you normally would, and simultaneously support organizations that make Humboldt function better. This month’s edition tonight at Redwood Curtain Brewery supports the Community Alliance with Family Farmers youth programs, educating youngsters about farming.
- Redirect Your Fear: If you’d like to embrace a different sort of terrible, tonight’s Sci-Fi Pint and Pizza Night at the Arcata Theatre Lounge is screening The Werewolf of Washington. Plot: Oh no! The President is in trouble because his press secretary is turning into a killer werewolf! Ah!
- Get All First Amendment-y: If you’re feeling brave or would like to watch other people who are, the Ba-Dum-CHH Comedy crew’s monthly open mic is conveniently scheduled tonight. Will there be 9/11 yuks? Safe bet. Check your offendability at the door unless you’re looking for that exciting rage high. (Don’t.)
- Go On With Life: Or, geez, there’s a fun, tasteful little band, Marty O’Reilly and the Old Soul Orchestra, playing tonight at the Siren’s Song Tavern (see them in the video below). No one could claim the terrorists won if you just went out and had an any-ol’-night good time tonight, si?
Your call, Humboldt.
Pints For Nonprofits
Redwood Curtain Brewing Company, Arcata / 3 p.m.-midnight / Free
A dollar from every pint or goblet sold will go towards bringing Humboldt County youth to local farms as part of CAFF’s Know Your Farmer program.
826-0233 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
The Werewolf of Washington
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m. / $5
After being unknowingly inflicted with the bite of a werewolf while on a visit to Europe, White House press secretary Jack Whittier (Dean Stockwell) begins to turn into a deadly beast by night, terrorizing Washington D.C. and presenting a very deadly threat to the President.
822-1220 / Web site /
Marty O’Reilly and the Old Soul Orchestra
The Siren’s Song Tavern / 8 p.m.
“Versatile musicianship and soulful chemistry help to expand Marty O’Reilly and The Old Soul Orchestra’s songs into pieces that drive like a ten pound hammer or float like feather and flow seamlessly in-between.” Free.
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site /
- DESPICABLE ME 2 2D: 1:50, 4:20
- ELYSIUM: 12:05, 2:40, 5:30, 8:15
- GETAWAY: 12:15, 2:35, 4:55, 7:20, 9:40
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 12:00, 3:00, 6:05, 9:05
- MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES: 11:50, 2:50, 5:50, 8:50
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 2D: 4:00
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 3D: 1:35, 6:20, 8:45
- PLANES 2D: 11:55, 2:20, 4:40, 7:00
- RIDDICK: 11:55, 2:50, 5:45, 8:40, 9:20
- SPECTACULAR NOW: 1:10, 3:35, 6:00, 8:30
- THE WORLD S END: 12:45, 3:30, 6:15, 9:00
- THIS IS THE END: 1:30, 4:10, 6:50, 9:35
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 1:00, 3:45, 6:30, 9:15
- YOU RE NEXT: 6:55, 9:25
Mill Creek Cinema
- ELYSIUM: 3:50, 6:30, 9:05
- LEE DANIELS THE BUTLER: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES: 3:15, 6:20
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 2D: 8:00
- ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US 3D: 3:20, 5:40
- PLANES 2D: 4:40
- RIDDICK: 2:55, 5:50, 8:45, 9:20
- THIS IS THE END: 4:30, 7:05, 9:40
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- YOU RE NEXT: 6:55, 9:20
- BLACKFISH: 3:55, 6:10, 8:25
- BLUE JASMINE: 4:15, 6:40, 9:10
- CLOSED CIRCUIT: 4:40, 7:00, 9:20