Monday Lowdown: Soviet-Era Classical Delights vs. Haunting NYC Antifolk (VIDEO)
Does anyone feel up to being around people tonight? Good God, you’re brave, optimistic sort.
CenterArts, of course, has the most extravagant distraction for Humboldt’s eyes and ears up at the Van Duzer Theatre. Direct from Kiev, it’s the National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine playing the hits from Soviet-era Russia!
If you failed to budget for eastern European classical music this month perhaps a visit to Richard’s Goat Tavern will allow for some emotional release. Tonight New York City-based singer/songwriter Diane Cluck brings haunting, unique voice to The Miniplex as part of her Wounded Healers Tour. The bit of trivia that may be of interest to you is that Cluck was a part of the same NYC antifolk movement that gave us Kimya Dawson. Might be better to just listen. YouTube allows for this below. —Andrew Goff
National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine
Van Duzer Theater / 7 p.m. / $66
The distinguished National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine lends its expressive power to a program that includes Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 3 with celebrated Ukrainian soloist Alexei Grynyuk, and Shostakovich’s heroic Symphony No. 5.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Diane Cluck, The Comix Trip
The Miniplex at Richards’ Goat Tavern / 7-10 p.m. / $5 / $10 sliding scale
“Diane got her start on the same NYC stage that brought us Kimya Dawson, Jefferey Lewis and others loosely grouped under the Antifolk banner. Local lo-fi Multi media juggernaut The Comix Trip to open the show!”
630-5000 / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Folklife Festival Call for Musicians
See Event Description / midnight
If you would like to perform during this year’s Humboldt Folklife Festival, July 8th-15th, please submit a description of your music and full songs representative of your current work!
email@example.com / View Comments
Coastal Grove Spring Equinox Feast
Folie Douce / 5 p.m.
Enjoy a seasonal, organic, locally sourced, prix fixe, four-course mael. The cost is $50 per person (excluding beverage and gratuity). All profits are donated to the school. RSVP.
822-1042 / Web site / View Comments
Redwood Lounge / 5:15-6:15 p.m. / $5
Dynamic, cardio-conditioning and athletic training class taught in a format that can be done by all fitness levels and ages.
822-7091 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Criminal Justice Dialogue
Humboldt State University Native American Forum / 6-8 p.m.
On March 20th, a community dialogue around the criminal justice system will spark change on a local level.
Music Meetup with Snowapple
The Sanctuary / 7-8:30 p.m. / $2
We’re thrilled to have the Dutch trio, Snowapple, teach us music from their repertoire!
496-6784 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2D: 11:45, 1:10, 2:45, 4:15, 5:45, 7:20, 8:45
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D: 12:20, 3:20, 6:20, 9:20
- GET OUT: 1:45, 4:20, 6:55, 9:30
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2: 4:00, 9:05
- KONG: SKULL ISLAND 2D: 12:55, 2:40, 3:45, 6:35, 8:20, 9:25
- KONG: SKULL ISLAND 3D: 11:50, 5:30
- LOGAN: 11:55, 1:30, 3:00, 4:40, 6:10, 7:50, 9:15
- MOONLIGHT: 3:50, 6:25, 9:00
- TABLE 19: 1:40, 6:50
- THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE 2D: 12:10, 1:15, 2:55, 5:25, 8:00
- THE SHACK: 11:45, 2:50, 5:50, 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2D: 2:45, 5:45, 6:25, 8:45
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D: 3:30, 9:20
- GET OUT: 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- KONG: SKULL ISLAND 2D: 2:40, 3:40, 5:30, 8:20, 9:15
- KONG: SKULL ISLAND 3D: 6:30
- LA LA LAND: 2:55, 5:55, 8:55
- LOGAN: 3:00, 6:05, 9:05
- THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE 2D: 3:05, 5:40, 8:10
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: 1:30, 5:00, 8:15
- GET OUT: 1:00, 4:00, 9:45
- LOGAN: 2:15, 5:45, 9:00
- THE WIND RISES: 6:45