Wednesday Features: No Water, Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Aliens, Beer
Welcome to Wednesday, Lowdowners. Let’s see how you’re going to spend your water-free day.
If you’ve got the funds, you can check two significant artists off your “seen ‘em” list at the Van Duzer Theatre. Superstar singer/songwriters Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt will share the JVD stage for an intimate acoustic evening of back-and-forth song ping pong. Don’t really famous people look nice sitting next to each other?
However, if $75 concerts are not your bag, your Lost Coast Outpost always recommends watching shitty ol’ monster flicks at the Arcata Theatre Lounge for Sci-Fi Pint and Pizza Night. Tonight they’re showing The Alien Factor (1976), the head shake-worthy trailer for which you can watch below.
Or you could support the deserving McKinleyville Land Trust by drinking beer. So, Wednesday ain’t too shabby.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
I get behind leaving your own comments for the lowdown. Read the few that are on here. Hilarious!
The Alien Factor (1976)
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m.
B-grade science fiction film directed and written by Baltimore low-budget filmmaker Don Dohler. The film begins with a young teenage couple making out in a car when an insect looking monster attacks.
822-1220 / Web site / View Comments
Sustainable Futures Speaker Series
HSU Native Forum / 5:30-7 p.m. / Free
Dr. Erin Kelly will present “Sustaining Rural Places: What Are We Sustaining?” Erin Kelly joined the Humboldt State University Department of Forestry and Wildland Resources in fall 2012 as an assistant professor in forest policy, economics, and administration.
826-3653 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Eureka Fair Wage Act Meeting
Labor Temple / 6:15 p.m.
Supporters of the Eureka initiative to require employers with more than 25 employees to provide a $12 minimum wage gather.
443-3731 / View Comments
The Good Time Music Tour
The Siren’s Song Tavern / 8 p.m. / Free
With The Gloria Darlings (a popular female vintage country and bluegrass band with great vocal harmonies) and The Gin Jars ( ragtime, hokum blues and jazz, with a hint of the vaudeville and the medicine shows of old).
442-8778 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- ABOUT TIME: 12:10, 3:10, 6:05, 9:05
- BEST MAN HOLIDAY: 12:25, 3:20, 6:15, 9:10
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 2:00, 5:15, 8:20
- CARRIE: 5:05, 9:40
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 1:45, 4:10
- COUNSELOR: 6:30, 9:00
- ENDER S GAME: 12:05, 2:55, 5:45, 8:40
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 12:10, 1:05, 3:35, 5:50, 8:10
- FRUITVALE STATION: 2:50, 7:30
- GRAVITY 2D: 12:00
- GRAVITY 3D: 2:15, 4:40, 7:00, 9:20
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 2:20, 4:55, 7:15, 9:35
- LAST VEGAS: 12:55, 3:45, 6:20, 8:55
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 1:10, 3:05, 4:00, 6:45, 8:45, 9:30
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 12:15, 5:55
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 5:20, 8:25
- ENDER S GAME: 3:35, 6:20, 9:10
- FREE BIRDS 2D: 3:10, 7:50
- FREE BIRDS 3D: 4:45
- GRAVITY 2D: 5:30
- GRAVITY 3D: 7:05, 9:20
- JACKASS PRESENTS: BAD GRANDPA: 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- LAST VEGAS: 3:30, 6:00, 8:40
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 3D: 2:50, 5:40, 8:30
- 12 YEARS A SLAVE: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:55, 7:15, 9:30
- THOR: THE DARK WORLD 2D: 3:50, 6:30, 9:15