(VIDEO) The Eel River Faces an Uncertain Future
After decades of abuse and mismanagement at the hands of some of northern California’s largest industries, what does the future look like for the Eel River?
That is the question at the center of A River’s Last Chance, fisherman-turned-filmmaker Shane Anderson’s award-winning documentary which receives its Humboldt County premiere Friday night at the Eureka Theater. Anderson took nearly four years to shoot the film which features interviews with numerous local environmental experts and stakeholders.
Anderson will take questions after Friday night’s screening. Proceeds from the event will benefit the film’s further distribution and to raise awareness about the Eel’s plight.
More details on Friday’s screening and other Friday night events in your Lowdown listings below. —AG
Outer Space 1-Year Celebration
Outer Space / 7-10 p.m. / $6
Featuring Trust Fall and Squill on tour from Olympia, WA, La Mancha and Grocery Outlit from Arcata.
798-0812 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
‘A River’s Last Chance’
Eureka Theater / 7-9 p.m. / $15
“A story of salmon, timber, weed, and, wine along California’s Eel River. After the showing there will be a Q&A with filmmakers and cast.”
442-2970 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
WCA Jazz Night
Westhaven Center for the Arts / 7-9 p.m.
Third Friday Jazz: hosted by the RLA Trio, brings back trumpeter Nicholas Dominic Talvola. Nick was born and raised in Arcata, California and left for Spain at the age of 20. He currently tours Europe with The Johnny Freelance Experience.
677-9493 / View Comments
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8-11 p.m. / $16 / $14 Students/Seniors
Tired of ruling, King Lear divides his empire among his daughters, setting the stage for an epic tale of unchecked ambition, deceit, war and madness. Filled with stunning imagery, subtle word play, and heart-wrenching moments, King Lear is regularly ranked by scholars as one of Shakespeare’s finest
442-6278 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Salsa Lesson and Social Dance
Redwood Raks World Dance Studio / 6-7:30 a.m. / $7 / 18+
We offer salsa dance lessons for everyone from no experience to very experienced. No partner required, but be prepared to meet people!
616-6876 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Meet the Maker, A Winter Wine Pairing
Inn at 2nd and C Streets / 6-9 p.m.
Meet the Maker, A Winter Wine Pairing Dinner with Chef Brett Shuler & Winemaker John Cabot of Cabot Vineyards, in the private upstairs dining room in the Historic Eagle House.
Friday Night Magic Draft
Nugames Eureka / 7-10 p.m.
Come and show off your deckbuilding abilities in our FNM draft event! If you love opening boosters draft is the format for you!
497-6358 / Web site / View Comments
Run, Hide, Repeat
Arcata High School / 7-8 p.m. / $10 / $5 Student (w/valid ID) / $8 Senior
The Arcata Arts Institute (AAI), in collaboration with Dell’Arte International, brings you their first production of 2018.
825-2401 / Web site / View Comments
Bear River Casino Resort / 9 p.m.-1 a.m. / Free / 21+
“The Mojo Rockers play a mix of Blues, Classic Rock, and Funk. Come rock out with us in the Thirsty Bear Lounge!”
733-9644 / Web site / View Comments
Blue Lake Casino and Hotel / 9 p.m.-1 a.m. / Free / 21+
The Undercovers bring you all of your favorite rock and dance songs from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2k, and today.
877-252-2946 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Palm Lounge at The Eureka Inn / 9 p.m. / $5
“Come out and see are wonderful local comics Laurel Pear, and Jeff Ward open for Humboldts God Father of Comedy Nando Molina! Hosted by William Toblerone!”
- 12 STRONG: 12:20, 3:20, 6:20, 9:15
- COMMUTER, THE: 1:35, 4:10, 6:45, 9:20
- DEN OF THIEVES: 11:50, 2:55, 6:00, 9:05
- GREATEST SHOWMAN, THE: 12:50, 3:30, 6:10, 8:45
- INSIDIOUS: THE LAST KEY: 1:55, 4:30, 7:05, 9:35
- JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE 2D: 11:50, 6:00, 9:10
- JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE 3D: 3:15
- MOLLY’S GAME: 2:20, 7:55
- PADDINGTON 2: 12:25, 3:00, 5:35, 5:35, 8:10
- PHANTOM THREAD: 11:40, 2:35, 5:40, 5:40, 8:40
- PITCH PERFECT 3: 12:00, 5:30, 5:30
- POST, THE: 12:40, 3:25, 6:15, 9:00
- SHAPE OF WATER: 11:45, 2:40, 2:40, 5:35, 8:30, 8:30
- STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI 2D: 11:55, 11:55, 2:40, 2:40, 5:55, 5:55, 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- 12 STRONG: 12:20, 3:20, 6:20, 9:20
- COMMUTER, THE: 1:45, 4:20, 6:55, 9:30
- DEN OF THIEVES: 11:55, 3:00, 6:05, 9:05
- JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE 2D: 11:50, 3:00, 5:50, 9:10
- MOLLY’S GAME: 11:50, 2:55, 6:00, 9:05
- PADDINGTON 2: 12:25, 3:05, 5:35, 8:10
- POST, THE: 12:30, 3:15, 6:05, 8:50
- STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI 2D: 11:45, 5:55, 8:40
- STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI 3D: 2:40
- PHANTOM THREAD: 2:30, 5:30, 8:30
- THE POST: 2:00, 5:00, 8:00
- THE SHAPE OF WATER: 3:00, 6:00, 9:00