Saturday, July 13, 2019’s Chowdown
For the next eight days, Blue Lake will once again be the center of Humboldt’s musical universe during the Humboldt Folklife Society’s annual Humboldt Folklife Festival. Now in its 41st year the event features exclusively local performers and is a great way to succinctly experience a huge swath of Humboldt’s musical talent.
Your Lost Coast Outpost has compiled the entire list of performers and events below:
- Saturday: Festival Kick-Off Party - Gather in sunny Blue Lake at Mad River Brewery for a beer or five and music by The Detours, March and Months and The Vanishing Pints.
- Sunday: Annie and Mary Day - Blue Lake’s citywide festival featuring a parade and music by Dead On, The Bayou Swamis, That Buckin’ String Band, Tyger Byle and The Tidepool High Divers.
- Monday: Ken Burns’ Country Music Preview - The fest teams up with KEET-TV for a special sneak peek of Ken Burns’ latest mega-documentary which looks at the history of American country music.
- Tuesday: Songwriter Night - Get intimate with some of Humboldt’s best tunesmiths: Featuring Michael Dayvid, Georgia Ruth, Tracy Symons Smith and Andrew Wakefield.
- Wednesday: Under the Stars - Sure to sell out, this evening features Huckleberry Flint, Cadillac Ranch and The Handshakers.
- Thursday: Bluegrass and Beyond - Have a strummin’ good Thursday with Compost Mountain Boys, The Kentucky Warblers and Old Dog.
- Friday: Barn Dance - Annual hoedown at the Prasch Hall in Blue Lake featuring toetap-worthy tunes from Striped Pig Band and caller Lyndsey Battle.
- Saturday, July 20: All Day Free Festival - Full day of music on two stages, workshops, food, joy. Music by The Yokels, Kingfoot, Bells of the Levee, The Gatehouse Well, Kenny Ray and the Mighty Rovers, Lodestar and more.
Tickets for all Folklife Festival events can be procured at the Humboldt Folklife Society website. More Saturday events in your Lowdown listings below.
2019 Relay for Life
Eureka High School / midnight-7 p.m.
Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s biggest fundraising effort to end cancer worldwide. Relay For Life is a time to Celebrate cancer survivors, Remember those we have lost to this terrible disease and Fight Back against cancer.
Web site /
Friendly Henderson Center Block Party
See Event Description / 11 a.m.-3 p.m. / Free
Friendly Henderson Center’s Merchant Association (HCMA) is raising money for a trolley and at the same time throwing a big Block Party for the neighborhood!
Tolowa Nation Honoring and Sharing Dance
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park Day Use Area / 1 p.m. / Free
The demonstration ceremony, which is open to the public and free of charge, is intended to honor the elders and share Tolowa culture with visitors and local communities.
Humboldt Folklife Festival Kickoff
Mad River Brewery Tasting Room / 2 p.m.
Let’s kick off our 41st annual Folklife Festival at Mad River Brewery. This evening of free music is sure to get you dancing and excited for a week of Folklife in sunny Blue Lake.
668-4151 / Web site /
Surfrider Humboldt Party and Paddle 2019
Humboldt Bay Social Club / 6-10 p.m.
Summer is here! Come celebrate longer days and warmer weather at Humboldt’s newest Ocean Friendly Restaurant—The Humboldt Bay Social Club! Live music, food, drinks, games, and good company.
Web site /
Through the Waves
Carlo Theatre (Dell’Arte) / 8-9:30 p.m. / $17 / $10 Kids U-12 / $15 Student/Senior/Veteran
“Through the Waves weaves a poetic vocabulary of acrobatic movement and storytelling. This intimate and highly-physical play tells the tale of a woman who is lost between the uncharted waters of her grief and the shores of her joyful memories following the disappearance of her soul-mate.”
668-5663 / email@example.com / Web site /
Eel River Valley
- ALADDIN 2D: 11:30, 2:30, 5:35, 8:35
- ANNABELLE COMES HOME: 1:50, 4:30, 7:10, 9:45
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME 2D: 11:40, 5:50
- CHILD’S PLAY: 3:35, 9:40
- CRAWL: 12:25, 2:40, 4:55, 7:15, 9:30
- MEN IN BLACK: INTERNATIONAL 2D: 6:25, 9:10
- MIDSOMMAR: 11:40, 2:50, 6:00, 9:05
- SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2 2D: 11:35, 1:55, 4:15
- SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME 2D: 11:30, 12:15, 2:30, 3:15, 4:45, 5:30, 6:15, 8:30, 9:15
- SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME 3D: 1:45, 7:45
- STUBER: 1:40, 4:10, 6:35, 9:00
- TOY STORY 4 2D: 11:25, 1:20, 3:50, 6:20, 8:50
- YESTERDAY: 12:55, 3:40, 6:30, 9:15
Mill Creek Cinema
- ANNABELLE COMES HOME: 6:45, 9:20
- CRAWL: 12:25, 2:40, 4:55, 7:10, 9:25
- MIDSOMMAR: 11:40, 2:50, 6:00, 9:05
- SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2 2D: 12:00, 2:10, 4:20
- SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME 2D: 11:30, 12:30, 2:30, 3:30, 5:30, 6:30, 8:30, 9:30
- STUBER: 1:30, 3:55, 6:20, 8:45
- TOY STORY 4 2D: 11:25, 1:55, 4:25, 6:50, 9:10
- YESTERDAY: 12:35, 3:25, 6:15, 9:00
- MIDSOMMAR: 2:00, 5:30, 9:15
- SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME: 2:40, 6:00, 8:50
- THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO: 1:30, 5:00, 8:10