Saturday, May 25, 2019’s Chowdown
Last year was the 50th annual. This year, to keep you invested we guess, they’re promoting it as the 50th anniversary of the Kinetic Grand Championship. Why, you clever rascals. Whatever.
Anyway, if you are somehow uninitiated as to how this thing works, sorry, we’re not going to decipher all the weird lore for you again, here — we’ll instead direct you to the KGC website with the hopes that the Kinetic Universe has done their job and you’ll be able to absorb some sense of what the hell this is, there.
Real quick, as far as Saturday goes there are two things worth knowing more than all the other things:
- Get the to the Arcata Plaza! The start of the race is easily the most concise chance to see all the sculptures up close before they are destroyed by sand, water and (not) fire. The race officially starts at the Arcata noon whistle. LoCO generally recommends that you arrive around 10:30 a.m. Again, check the KGC Spectator’s Guide if you want tips on how to watch sculptures travel through the dunes, down Dead Man’s Drop and on to Halvorsen Park.
- Pictures are coming! LoCO will be providing you your 2019 Kinetic Sculpture field guide! Sometime not-too-long after the start of the race check back in with us for a complete visual list of this year’s klass of kontraptions. More on that when we get it up. (Spoiler: It’ll look like last year’s koverage.)
OK. The 50th! Again! Here we go! —Andrew Goff
Arcata Farmers’ Market
Arcata Plaza / 9 a.m.-2 p.m. / Free
Open during Kinetics! This market features the finest locally grown seasonal produce, plants, artisan food products and so much more.
441-9999 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Kinetic Grand Championship Day One
Arcata Plaza / 10 a.m.
Day 1 of the Kinetic Grand Championship starts on the Plaza in Arcata, California at the noon whistle every Memorial Day weekend. The racers take off to the Manila dunes, where they race through miles of sand to the great and inevitable “Deadman’s Drop”. Then on to Eureka’s downtown gazebo.
Web site /
Thesis Festival 2019
Carlo Theatre (Dell’Arte) / 8-9 p.m. / $5 / $15 Suggested Donation / $10 Suggested Donation
The Dell’Arte International School of Physical Theatre presents Thesis Festival 2019, featuring four groundbreaking new works of theatre created by this year’s graduating MFA class.
668-5663 / email@example.com / Web site /
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8-11 p.m. / $18 / $16 Students/Seniors / 18+
The Musical That Redefined Broadway! American author Cliff Bradshaw discovers the seedy underbelly of 1931 Berlin when he finds himself in a relationship with British dancer Sally Bowles, performer at the Kit Kat Klub. Suggested for ages 18+
442-6278 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $18 / $16 students/seniors
Sophie and Sky’s Greek island wedding sounds like absolute perfection, but there’s only one thing missing: a father to give away the bride. Mom had three suitors back in the day, so what’s a daughter to do but invite all three exes to the wedding and do a little light sleuthing?
Web site /
Eel River Valley
- A DOG’S JOURNEY: 1:00, 3:45, 6:25, 9:00
- ALADDIN 2D: 11:30, 12:30, 2:30, 3:30, 5:30, 6:30, 8:30, 9:25
- ALADDIN 3D: 1:55, 8:45
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME 2D: 11:50, 3:35, 4:55, 8:00
- BOOKSMART: 1:25, 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- BRIGHTBURN: 12:10, 2:35, 4:55, 7:15, 9:35
- HUSTLE, THE: 12:45, 3:05, 5:35, 8:00
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM: 12:20, 2:20, 3:20, 5:20, 6:20, 8:20, 9:20
- POKÉMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU 2D: 11:35, 12:40, 3:15, 4:45, 5:50, 7:20, 8:35
- SUN IS ALSO A STAR, THE: 2:10, 9:40
Mill Creek Cinema
- A DOG’S JOURNEY: 1:00, 3:40, 6:15, 8:50
- ALADDIN 2D: 11:30, 12:35, 2:30, 5:25, 6:35, 8:30, 9:30
- ALADDIN 3D: 3:35
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME 2D: 12:45, 4:30, 8:20
- BOOKSMART: 1:15, 3:50, 6:30, 9:00
- BRIGHTBURN: 12:10, 2:25, 4:50, 7:05, 9:20
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM: 12:25, 3:30, 6:25, 9:25
- POKÉMON: DETECTIVE PIKACHU 2D: 12:25, 3:00, 5:35, 8:10
- ALADDIN: 1:30, 4:45, 8:00
- ASK DR. RUTH: 1:00
- BOOKSMART: 3:00, 6:00, 8:45
- POKEMAN DETECTIVE PIKACHU: 4:00, 6:45, 9:30