From the Fortuna Police Department:
On September 9, 2016 at approximately 2:43 am an officer with the Fortuna Police Department was patrolling the area in the 2200 block of Redwood Way. He observed a Silver Dodge Stratus that he later determined was stolen out of Eureka.
He attempted to relocate the vehicle and found it parked in the parking lot of the Wood Creek apartments in the 2200 block of Redwood Way.
During the course of his investigation he learned that Fernando Steven Martinez age 18 from Fortuna was in the passenger front seat of the vehicle. Other Officers responded to the scene along with Fortuna K9 officer Nordy. Officers learned that Martinez had an outstanding felony arrest warrant for threats and possession of deadly weapon by a prisoner.
Martinez would not comply with the officer’s commands as he exited the vehicle. He then fled on foot away from the officers and was apprehended by K9 Nordy after a short foot pursuit. Martinez was arrested for the following charges;
- Outstanding Felony Arrest Warrant.
- 148(a)(1) PC Resisting Arrest
Martinez was medically cleared by Redwood Memorial Hospital and then Transported to the Humboldt County Correctional Facility.
- Bayside Man Chased Down By K-9 Unit ‘Nordy’ After Allegedly Assaulting Ex-Girlfriend
- Refusal to Obey Officer’s Commands Led to K9 Being Deployed, Says Fortuna Police
- Fortuna Police Dog Nabs Alleged Plywood Thief
- Fortuna Burglary Suspects Taken Into Custody at Dogpoint
- Suspect Apprehended; High-Speed Chase Ends When Vehicle Drives Off a Road at Humboldt Hill
- Fortuna K-9 Cop Locates Fleeing Felony Warrant Suspect Hiding Under Insulation
- Burglary Suspects Found After Their Rig Full of Stolen Loot Was Towed, Fortuna Police Say
- Fortuna K-9 Cop Nordy Tracks Down Fleeing Warrant Suspect, Police Say