Hank Sims / Thursday, Dec. 7 @ 11:24 a.m. / Our Culture
A Great Big Boom Rattled Eureka Last Night, and Once Again No One Knows Who, What, Why, How or Exactly Where
Has it really been a year since Eureka experienced one of the window-rattling mystery explosions that have plagued the town for the last half a decade? Or have we become inured, in the way that a person who lives near a railroad line stops noticing the trains?
Whichever the case, a big ol’ boom woke a good part of the town in the middle of the night last night.
Says one LoCO correspondent:
Last night around 3 am my husband, dog, and I were awoken by an extremely loud explosion noise. We in the Pine Hill area. I am familiar with the “mysterious booms” and have heard them many times (all still terrifying), but this one sounded different to me. I immediately called the Sheriff’s Office and the dispatcher said she heard it too on 5th Street, but had no idea what it was or where it came from.
Unfortunately, I didn’t roll over to see what time this was at, but it was heard in Eureka near Union St and the abandoned school on Central. I know back in 2015 something similar to this was being reported a lot. I wanted to see if a story had been posted but it might be a little early. Did anyone else report hearing this elsewhere as I would like more info thanks!
Says a LoCO Facebook friend:
Extremely loud boom heard from Harris & Williams St., louder than any of the other random “booms” I’ve heard before. Any idea what it was?
Once again: Not really.
The Eureka Police Department’s Brittany Powell said that the calls started coming in at about 3:15 a.m. They seemed to be centered in the southwest quadrant of the city — Allard Avenue, Highland Park, the foot of Truesdale, Long Street near Henderson Center. Officers were dispatched around the area.
Someone reported seeing smoke, Powell said, but it seems that Humboldt Bay Fire confirmed that the smoke was coming from a chimney. Nothing else was located. Mystery.
- This Time It’s Clearly Idiots Setting Off Fireworks
- OUT: Eureka Booms; IN: Fortuna Booms
- A Quick, Crappy Poem About Your Latest Mysterious Eureka Boom
- The Boom to End All Booms Just Hit Eureka
- Big Early Morning Boom on the West Side of Arcata
- BOOM! Eureka Explodes Again, Four Times
- Multiple Reports of Explosion AKA Boom
- Double Your Pleasure, Double Your BOOM
- At This Point, Wouldn’t We Kinda Miss the BOOMs If They Ceased?
- Are These the Boom Bandits?
- Cutten Superboom!
- Oh! Our First BOOM With Alleged Video Evidence! Sure! (VIDEO)
- It’s Been Awhile … Eureka Boom, Baby!
- Two Loud Carlotta Booms!
- Again With the Booming?
- Boom! Kerpow! Crackle…
- Santa Creates Sonic Boom Over Fortuna?
- Eureka Is Booming Again
- McKinleyville Goes Boom!
- Big Boom!
- Fortuna’s Big Thanksgiving Boom
- BOOM Goes Boom, Yet Again
- Boom, Again!
- Today’s Boom Report
- Was That Another Boom?
- Seeking the Source of the Boom
- The Mysterious Boom Goes …Uhh… Boom Again
- What Went Kaboom on Humboldt Hill Tuesday Night?
- What Was That Giant Flash and Boom in Eureka Last Night?
- We Kinda Missed You, Eureka Booms