Let’s Talk About Saturday Night, AKA Halloweekend
Traditionally, the Saturday preceding Halloween is really second only to New Year’s Eve in terms of flamboyant night out options with this year being no exception. Since it is your right as an American to get crunk for the holidays — consult your pocket constitution — your Lowdown is going to look ahead to the choicest cuts of meat on Saturday night’s party menu:
- Humboldt Baykeeper is turning nine years old. Instead of expecting a present from you, they went out and rented the Arcata Theatre Lounge for you and booking a mini-Brazilian Carnivál for the annual Baykeeper Bash. Expect to sweat to the rhythmic, Afro-Brazilian party-to-go that is SambaDá whilst having your eyes dazzled by the movement and color of local dance group Samba Da Alegria. DJ Mantease will also be on hand to shake butts. $25, 7:30 p.m.
- Down SoHum way, the Mateel Community Center and KMUD combine forces for the annual Halloween Boogie. This year’s master of boogiemonies will be Heavyweight Dub Champion, described as “a shamanistic wall of hip hop dubtronica.” (Quite a wall.) Also on the bill, didgeridoo dub group (not kidding) Ganga Girl and El Radio Fantastique. $30, 7 p.m.
- If you’re not over the whole pirate thing — and why would you be?! — up in Mack town Six Rivers Brewery arrrrrre holding their 10th Annual Pirate Ball with the high-energy Pine Box Boys plus Colonel Jimmy and the Blackfish. Dress like a pirate or walk the plank and stuff. $5, 8 p.m.
- Those of you with mother’s will want to head over to HumBrews where Yo Mama’s Big Fat Booty Band will be funkin’ it up family style. $10, 9:30 p.m.
- Reminder: No Too Short.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Godlin Gets Behind
The band Linkin Park debuted today in 2000; ask DJ Red to “just throw in some old-school LP” during his set at Humbrews.
Sustainable Futures Speaker Series
Gist Hall, HSU / 5:30-7 p.m. / Free
Dr. Gwyn Kirk will present “Environmental Security and National Security: Are They Compatible?”
826-3653 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Young Frankenstein: The Musical!
Gist Hall, HSU / 7:30-9:30 p.m. / $15 / $10 students & seniors / 18+
It’s alive! And it dances! Get ready for Halloween with the scary, sexy and very silly HSU production of Mel Brooks’ classic.
826-3928 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Ferndale Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $10
Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the very first production of Thornton Wilder’s Pulitzer Prize winning play.
786-5483 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 11:55, 2:50, 5:55, 9:00
- CARRIE: 1:05, 3:40, 6:15, 8:50
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 12:05, 2:40, 5:10
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 3D: 7:40
- DON JON: 12:55, 3:20, 5:45, 8:10
- ENOUGH SAID: 1:25, 3:55, 6:20, 8:45
- ESCAPE PLAN: 12:35, 3:30, 6:30, 9:20
- FIFTH ESTATE: 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:05
- GRAVITY 2D: 2:00, 6:45
- GRAVITY 3D: 12:45, 3:10, 4:20, 5:35, 8:00, 9:10
- INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 2: 1:10, 6:40
- MACHETE KILLS: 1:30, 4:10, 6:50, 9:30
- RUNNER RUNNER: 1:00, 6:05
- RUSH: 3:45, 9:15
- WE RE THE MILLERS: 3:15, 8:30
Mill Creek Cinema
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 5:20, 8:30
- CARRIE: 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS 2 2D: 3:20, 5:50, 8:15
- DON JON: 3:50, 9:25
- ESCAPE PLAN: 3:30, 6:15, 9:00
- GRAVITY 2D: 9:20
- GRAVITY 3D: 4:40, 7:00
- MACHETE KILLS: 3:40, 6:20, 8:55
- PRISONERS: 6:05
- RUNNER RUNNER: 4:20, 9:35
- RUSH: 6:40
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 5:35, 8:40
- FIFTH ESTATE: 5:45, 8:50
- GRAVITY 2D: 4:40, 7:00, 9:20