So You Think Humboldt Has A ‘Tweeker’ Problem …
Here at the Lost Coast Outpost, we are inundated daily with comments bemoaning the existence of “tweekers” in our fair community. The prevalence of meth is somehow a uniquely Humboldt problem, it seems. Often, colorful, violent, final solutions are offered for how to deal with/dispose of our local geeter population. Many clicked upvotes generally follow.
As enjoyable and helpful as it is to dehumanize and chuckle at Old Town’s “zombie hordes,” maybe Thursday afternoon’s first meeting of the Humboldt Meth Abuse Awareness Project could also be a fruitful use of time. Last week LoCO featured a letter from local physician Michael Fratkin in which he called Humboldt together to brainstorm plausible solutions to local addiction issues. The response was overwhelming, so much so that the event had to be moved from the Humboldt Area Foundation conference room to the larger Turf Club room at Redwood Acres Fairgrounds. Hell, to make sure as many people have a seat at this table as possible, we’re gonna stream the meeting right here on LoCO starting at 3:30 p.m.
To those of you that have participated in online tweeker bashing, maybe you should check this civil discourse scene out. It’s great! Bring your (humane) ideas on how we can positively address the scourge of meth locally and be inspired by the turn out of sincere, qualified souls hoping to provoke change in their corner of earth. Oh, and since this is the LoCO Lowdown, and we’re required by Internet law to give you fun suggestions for things to do on any given night, perhaps meeting-goers could unwind by enjoying some eye-popping acrobatics direct from Peking, or by dancing the night away to deep soul cuts. Your call. Be amazing, Humboldt.
The Lowdown Fun Committee
Gabe Rozzell at the Logger Bar Tonight. For extra points, takes notes during the entire show and when Gabe asks what you’re doing say, “They’re for Clampitt”. [$5 and under award]
You honestly never think about joining a gospel choir? Come on. You do. How good would that look on your eHarmony profile? Like, so good.
Humboldt Meth Abuse Awareness Project
Redwood Acres Fairgrounds / 3:30-5 p.m.
In the Turf Club. This will be the first meeting of the Humboldt Meth Abuse Awareness Project. For more info, click here.
445-3037 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Van Duzer Theater / 7 p.m. / $35 / $10 HSU students
“Direct from the People’s Republic of China, this elite group of gymnasts, jugglers, cyclists, and tumblers roll spellbinding 2000-year-old Chinese traditions and exotic, live Chinese music into a gravity-defying kaleidoscope of uplifting, awe inspiring entertainment.”
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Oedipus The King and Women in Congress Opening Night
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8 p.m. / $15 / $12 students/seniors
NCRT continues its 30th Season with a special evening of two one-act plays originally performed in ancient Greece.
442-6278 / Web site / View Comments
Soul Night: The Thursday Edition
Humboldt Brews / 9 p.m. / $5 / 21+
“We figured, what better way to start off a new year fresh than try out a Friday morning hangover? Come along with Jaymorg, King Maxwell, Matt n’ Adam and special guest for a very special Thursday Night Soul Throwdown.”
826-2739 / Web site / View Comments
Gist Theater at HSU / 5:30-7:30 p.m. / $15 / $10 Students, Children & Seniors
Incorporates jazz hits by George Gershwin, with choreography inspired by film genius Busby Berkeley.
445-2355 / Web site / View Comments
Gist Theater at HSU / 8-10 p.m. / $15 / $10 Students, Children & Seniors
Introspective ensemble production about identity, education, trust, and communication between adults and children.
445-2355 / Web site / View Comments
- 12 YEARS A SLAVE: 2:50, 8:40
- AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY: 12:10, 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
- CAPTAIN PHILLIPS: 12:00, 5:40
- DEVIL S DUE: 12:20, 2:35, 4:55, 7:20, 9:40
- FROZEN 2D: 12:40, 6:15
- GRAVITY 3D: 3:25, 9:15
- HER: 12:25, 3:20, 6:10, 9:05
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 2D: 11:55
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 3D: 5:45
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 1:10, 3:50, 6:30, 9:10
- LEGEND OF HERCULES 2D: 4:20, 9:25
- LEGEND OF HERCULES 3D: 1:45, 6:55
- LONE SURVIVOR: 12:15, 3:10, 6:05, 9:00
- NUT JOB 2D: 2:05, 4:20, 6:35
- NUT JOB 3D: 11:50, 8:45
- PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES: 3:35, 9:30
- RIDE ALONG: 1:55, 4:25, 6:55, 9:25
- SAVING MR BANKS: 3:15, 8:50
- WOLF OF WALL STREET: 11:50, 5:45
Mill Creek Cinema
- ANCHORMAN 2: THE LEGEND CONTINUES: 2:55, 9:25
- DEVIL S DUE: 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- FROZEN 2D: 3:15
- GRAVITY 3D: 3:20, 9:00
- HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG 3D: 5:35
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- LONE SURVIVOR: 3:10, 6:05, 8:55
- NUT JOB 2D: 3:30, 5:50
- NUT JOB 3D: 8:00
- RIDE ALONG: 4:15, 6:45, 9:15
- SAVING MR BANKS: 5:55, 8:45
- WOLF OF WALL STREET: 5:40
- INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS: 4:00, 6:35, 9:10
- JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT: 3:25, 6:00, 8:40
- NEBRASKA: 3:40, 6:20, 9:00