Lake resident Robert Louis Huntzinger was acquitted of murder and
burglary, but his legal troubles aren’t over.
Huntzinger, 37, had three criminal cases pending when he was arrested for the slaying of Trevor Mark Harrison during a May 2015 marijuana transaction. Last month a jury found him not guilty, but the District Attorney’s Office would like to see him in prison.
This morning Deputy District Attorney Trent Timm asked Judge Dale Reinholtsen to increase Huntzinger’s bail and consolidate three separate cases that include charges of vandalism, possession of drugs for sale, possession of marijuana for sale, transportation of drugs, transportation of marijuana and possessing a firearm during the commission of a crime.
attorney, Russ Clanton, told Reinholtsen this morning that the
prosecution is motivated by “sour grapes.” Timm denied that,
saying he is “just a deputy district attorney doing his job.”
gave Clanton time to respond in writing to the motions, and another
hearing was set for July 13.
same jury that acquitted Huntzinger found his co-defendant, Billy Joe
Giddings, guilty of second-degree murder for shooting Harrison to
death. He is scheduled for sentencing next month and faces up to life
in prison. Today Reinholtsen granted the prosecution’s motion to
dismiss two cases alleging Giddings had drugs in the jail.
on Huntzinger’s three pending cases is $100,000 and $50,000 for the
alleged drug-related crimes and $25,000 on the vandalism charge.
He already has one strike under the state’s Three Strikes You’re Out law for a felony burglary conviction.
- (UPDATED) Two Men Arrested in Connection to Weekend Homicide in Arcata
- Woman Arrested for Saturday’s Homicide in Arcata Released From Jail
- Kimberly Steele Gives the Outpost Her Account of Saturday’s Homicide in Arcata
- ‘The Price of Trevor’s Life’ - Kimberly Steele Talks About the Pot Deal That Left a Man Dead
- Kim Steele, Former Arrestee in Arcata Homicide, Fails to Appear in Court
- Trial Date Set for Two Men Charged in 2015 Murder and Home-Invasion Robbery
- Giddings-Huntinger Trial, Day One
- Giddings-Huntzinter Trial, Day Two
- Giddings-Huntzinger Trial, Day Three
- Giddings-Huntzinger Trial, Day Four
- Giddings-Huntzinger Trial, Day Five
- Giddings-Huntzinger Trial, Day Six
- Giddings-Huntzinger Trial, Day Seven
- Giddings-Huntzinger Verdict