Rhonda Parker / Tuesday, June 12 @ 3:49 p.m. / Courts
SoHum Murder Suspect Zach Harrison Pleads Not Guilty
Murder suspect Zachary Cordell Harrison pleaded not guilty today to shooting 58-year-old Robert James Holtsclaw to death in September 2017.
Deputy Public Defender Luke Brownfield entered the plea on behalf of Harrison, 28. He is charged with first-degree murder and a special firearms allegation that can add 25 years to life to any prison term. The maximum penalty if he is convicted is two life terms.
Harrison agreed to give up his right to a preliminary hearing within 10 days of his arraignment. But after Deputy District Attorney Brent Kling requested the hearing be held within 30 days, Judge Christopher Wilson set it for the morning of July 17.
During the arraignment this afternoon, Harrison grinned at two women in the courtroom audience, then waved to them as he was being taken back to jail.
He was captured Wednesday in the Walmart parking lot in Eureka after managing to hide out in Southern Humboldt for about eight months. During the long manhunt, deputies failed to catch him - despite a couple of near-misses - but arrested a number of his friends who were wanted on warrants
Harrison allegedly shot and killed Holtsclaw as the older man sat in his truck on Sixth Street in Alderpoint. Holtsclaw’s passenger ran from the scene and called authorities.
After the arraignment Brownfield, who already is handling four homicide cases, said he expects that Deputy Public Defender Brie Bennett will be assigned to represent Harrison.
- Assault in Redway—Sheriff’s Dept. Releases Information
- SoHum Man Wanted for Homicide, Considered Armed and Dangerous
- Sheriff’s Office Will Increase Presence in Rural SoHum As It Continues Its Hunt For Armed and Dangerous Murder Suspect
- Jet Skis Deployed as Sheriff’s Office Searches for ‘Possibly Naked’ Murder Suspect in Alderpoint
- Sheriff’s Office Gently Reminds Public That Anyone Assisting At-Large SoHum Murder Suspect is Subject to Arrest
- Three Arrested During Investigation Into Fleeing SoHum Murder Suspect Zachary Harrison
- Hunt for SoHum Homicide Suspect Continues; Deputies Arrest One, Pursue Another During Search
- Fleeing SoHum Murder Suspect Eludes Capture Yet Again; Associate Taken Into Custody
- Three More ‘Known Associates’ of SoHum Murder Suspect Zach Harrsion Arrested Last Night
- After 8 Months on the Run, SoHum Murder Suspect Zachary Harrison Arrested in Eureka Today
- SoHum Murder Suspect Zach Harrison Appears in Court, Faces Two Life Terms