Lowdown for Friday, Aug. 5
(AUDIO) Friday Lowdown: An Interview with Tales of a Sexual Tomboy Star Joyful Raven
Well, huh. Perhaps you are looking for new plans this weekend! Luckily, your Humboldt Friday is not lacking in alternate fun. Details on lots of inclusive, tolerant human clusters can be found in your Lowdown listings below. A few highlights:
- We will again remind you that this is the last weekend of Humboldt Crabs baseball for 2016. Peanuts! Crackerjacks! Buy them!
- Local Steve Irwin-led rockabilly trio The Yokels are the best Humboldt band you’ve not yet seen. Remedy that at The Palm Lounge.
- Ah! Each Friday in August the Eureka Theater screens a film in their Summer of Suspense series — the inaugural edition features Alfred Hitchcock’s Shadow of a Doubt. Ah!
- The Arcata Playhouse hosts the world premiere of Tales of a Sexual Tomboy, a “raucous one-woman comedy about a horny tomboy, equipped with bad boundaries from her hippie upbringing, looking for empowerment in all the wrong places.” Tomboy’s SoHum-grown star and writer Joyful Raven and its director Jael Weisman sat down with KHUM DJ Bayley Brown to discuss the play’s origins and production. Listen below. —AG
Reggae on the River 2016
French’s Camp / 8 a.m.
“Recognized as one of the longest running reggae music events in the world, Reggae On The River® is an annual pilgrimage held along the banks of the majestic Eel River in the heart of Southern Humboldt County and fans have flocked here for three decades to experience the best in reggae/world music.”
Web site /
Trinidad Art Nights
Trinidad, California / 6-9 p.m.
Free all-ages arts and entertainment walk throughout town like no other. Trinidad is a unique and beautiful town, a perfect setting for a perfect evening!
Summer of Suspense
Eureka Theater / 7 p.m. / $5
Exactly who is Uncle Charlie? Alfred Hitchcock’s Shadow of a Doubt kicks off the Eureka Theater’s “Summer of Suspense,” every Friday night throughout the month of August.
442-2970 / Web site /
Phantom of the Country Opera
Van Duzer Theater / 7:30 p.m. / $19
“Humboldt Light Opera Co. goes a little bit country with its latest summer production. With a plot that may sound oddly familiar, this splashy, hilarious Country-Western send-up of the classic tale of horror, is filled with comedy and an unforgettable score. It’s toe-tapping family entertainment.”
630-5013 / email@example.com / Web site /
Tales of a Sexual Tomboy
Arcata Playhouse / 8 p.m. / $12
“The show is a raucous one-woman comedy about a horny tomboy, equipped with bad boundaries from her hippie upbringing, looking for empowerment in all the wrong places.”
822-1575 / Web site /
Moon Over Buffalo
North Coast Repertory Theatre / 8-10 p.m. / $16 / $13 students and seniors
“Two washed-up stars make one last desperate attempt at fame and fortune in this madcap farce, written by Ken Ludwig.”
442-6278 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Marine Science Summer Camp
HSU Marine Laboratory / 9-3 a.m. / $195 / $50 per day / $195 per week
The goal of our marine science summer program is to offer children (ages 6-12) a hands-on opportunity to learn about and explore our diverse marine habitats.
826-3689 / email@example.com / Web site /
First Friday Bicycle Maintenance Classes
Community Bike Kitchen at Jefferson Elementary / 6-8 p.m. / Free
The workshops are designed to be simple, and address the most common issues that keep you from riding your bicycle.
668-1716 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Friday Night at the Refuge
Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge / 7-8 p.m.
This month Eric Nelson and Martha Spencer will give their impressions and share some nice photos from a recent trip. “20 Days in Uganda: A Fascinating Country with a lot of People, Other Mammals, Birds and Motorcycles.”
733-5406 / Web site /
- BAD MOMS: 1:45, 4:15, 6:55, 9:25
- CAPTAIN FANTASTIC: 2:20
- GHOSTBUSTERS 2D: 5:55, 8:40
- HILLARYS AMERICA: THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY: 11:50, 7:10
- HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE: 12:40, 3:10, 5:45, 8:15
- ICE AGE: COLLISION COURSE 2D: 12:10, 2:35, 5:00
- JASON BOURNE: 12:05, 1:25, 3:00, 4:25, 6:00, 7:30, 9:00
- LIGHTS OUT: 5:05, 9:40
- NERVE: 1:10, 3:35, 7:20, 9:35
- NINE LIVES: 11:50, 2:00, 4:10, 6:20, 8:35
- STAR TREK BEYOND 2D: 12:25, 3:15, 6:05, 8:55
- SUICIDE SQUAD 2D: 11:45, 12:35, 3:30, 5:35, 6:25, 9:20
- SUICIDE SQUAD 3D: 2:40, 8:30
- THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2D: 11:55, 2:10, 4:30, 6:50, 9:10
Mill Creek Cinema
- BAD MOMS: 1:45, 4:15, 6:50, 9:20
- JASON BOURNE: 12:05, 3:00, 5:55, 8:50
- NERVE: 1:55, 4:30, 6:55, 9:15
- NINE LIVES: 11:50, 2:00, 4:10, 6:20, 8:35
- STAR TREK BEYOND 2D: 12:30, 6:10, 9:00
- STAR TREK BEYOND 3D: 3:20
- SUICIDE SQUAD 2D: 11:45, 2:40, 3:40, 5:35, 8:30, 9:30
- SUICIDE SQUAD 3D: 12:45, 6:35
- THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2D: 11:55, 2:10, 4:25, 6:40, 8:45