Saturday Lowdown: March for Science in Arcata
Above: Livestream from the DC March for Science
On Saturday hundreds of people in Humboldt are expected to join with hundreds of thousands around the world for the March for Science, an attempt to draw attention to the vital role science plays in society. Coinciding with Earth Day, it’s estimated that over 500 cities will stage related events.
Locally, festivities will center in Arcata. Here’s a quick rundown of the day’s itinerary:
- 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m.: A Science Expo will be held at the D Street Neighborhood Center where attendees can learn about local science-based programs.
- 2 p.m.: A Science Rally will be held in the cul-de-sac near the center on D Street featuring speechifying from local scientists, teachers, elected officials and Tribal members.
- 2:45 p.m.: The March for Science will depart from the rally and make its way to the Arcata Plaza and then back to the rally site. Expect an abundance of clever signs.
- 4 p.m.: Back at the neighborhood center, break-out sessions aim to answer the “what do we do next?” question.
More details on the local version of the March for Science can be found on its Facebook event page. There’s also a lot more happening locally this Saturday which is what your Lowdown listings below are for. —Andrew Goff
Humboldt County / 5 a.m.
Come celebrate the Marbled Godwit and explore the lush Redwood Coast. Observe many bird species and wildlife through the selection of field trips, lectures, workshops, and boat excursions led by experienced local guides during our annual week-long festival.
email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Earth Day at Trinidad State Beach
Trinidad State Beach / 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Give back to parks this Earth Day by volunteering to help with forest restoration at Trinidad State Beach in Humboldt County! Join volunteers for our 19th annual Earth Day Restoration and Cleanup, presented by PG&E, to provide parks with much needed maintenance after a stormy winter.
Humboldt - March for Science!
D Street Neighborhood Center / 9 a.m.-4 p.m. / Free
A science expo from 9am to 1:30pm feature hands-on exhibits and student posters. A rally at 2pm with local speakers. A march at 3pm into downtown Arcata with marching bands. Creative signs and costumes encouraged.
822-7091 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Humboldt Orchid Society Show
Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center / 10 a.m.-5 p.m. / $2
The Orchid Show will feature a display of orchids grown locally by members of the HOS. Plants on display will feature orchids and carnivorous plants easily grown in the home, as well as rare and exotic orchids requiring greenhouse culture.
845-6858 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Real Women Have Curves
Gist Theater at HSU / 7:30 p.m. / $10 / $8 Students/Seniors
Set in a tiny sewing factory in East L.A., the play is a humorous and poignant story of five full-figured Mexican-American women who talk about their lives, loves and deepest desires while attempting to meet impossible production deadlines.
826-3928 / Web site / View Comments
Va Va Voom’s 6-year Anniversary Show
Eureka Theater / 8 p.m. / $15 / $150 VIP table / $12 adv.
Come celebrate 6 years of Va Va Voom! Our burlesque-iversary will be jam packed with burlesque, belly dancing, audience participation games and so much more! Come dressed to impress! You might win a prize for Best Dressed To Impress!
442-2970 / Web site / View Comments
On Smoke’s Wing
Dell’Arte / 8 p.m. / Free / Free pay-what-you-can / 18+
“In a city devoured by all-consuming war, survivors in limbo struggle against the inevitability of their fate. This original work, devised by an international ensemble of theatre artists, explores the timelessness of tragedy through a contemporary lens.”
668-5663 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Morris Graves Museum of Art / 8 p.m.-midnight / $10
This LA-based duo will serenade your ears with sounds that will make you sway and dance in the iconic Eureka venue, the Morris Graves Museum of Art, for a one-time only show.
442-0278 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Antique and Art Show 2017
Redwood Acres Fairgrounds / 9 a.m.-5 p.m. / $2
Need something for Mother’s Day? Come by and find that unique one of a kind treasure, that is sure to please.
616-9920 / RForemanEstate@gmail.com / View Comments
Lanphere Dunes Restoration
Lanphere Dunes (HBNWR) / 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Help restore the dune ecosystem at the Lanphere Dunes Unit of the Humboldt Bay and Wildlife Refuge.
444-1397 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Usal Beach Earth Day Clean Up
Sinkyone Wilderness State Park / 10 a.m.-4 p.m. / Free
Want to do something to give back for Earth Day?! Join us at the stunning Usal Beach for an Earth Day restoration event. Come in work clothes, lunch and equipment will be provided. Tasks include litter collection, cutting of invasive ivy, campsite and restroom repair work, and trail clean up.
946-2263 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Manufactured Homeowners Training
See Event Description / 10 a.m.-4 p.m. / Free / Free all
MHAction.org, a national organization that teaches manufactured home owners how to protect their rights and their investment, will be coming to Humboldt.
298-7290 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
NHS Vendor Dayz: 12th Annual Customer Appreciation Week
Northcoast Horticulture Supply / 10 a.m.
839-9998 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Docent Training for 2017 Hike Season
Sanctuary Forest / 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. / Free / 18+
Over the course of 4 hours, participants will learn how to open and close hikes, introduce hikers to Sanctuary Forest, assist hike leaders, keep track of hikers, basic first aid and more.
986-1087 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
Earth and Space Discovery Day
HSU Natural History Museum / 11 a.m.-3 p.m. / $5 / $2 members
Join us for a day of fun and exploratory activities regarding planet Earth and the solar system.
826-4479 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
Living History Day
Clarke Historical Museum / noon-3 p.m. / Free
Part of our Admission Free Spring Break Week sponsored by Provident Credit Union, Living History Day is a chance to experience a glimmer of Humboldt County history. Come see a local basket weaving demonstration with Ruthie Maloney.
443-1947 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
HSU Calypso Band, Percussion Ensemble, World Percussion Group Concert
Van Duzer Theater / 8 p.m.-10 a.m. / $3 HSU Students with ID / $5 Senior/Child / $10 General
826-3531 / email@example.com / Web site / View Comments
The Old Steeple / 8-10 p.m. / $10
Screening of the film “Pitching Tents”, directed by Ferndale Native Jacob Cooney. A heartfelt coming-of-age comedy about a high school senior struggling to figure out his future.
786-7030 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site / View Comments
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2D: 11:45, 2:45, 5:45, 8:45
- BORN IN CHINA: 11:45, 1:50, 4:00, 6:10, 8:20
- BOSS BABY 2D: 12:40, 3:10, 5:35, 8:10
- FATE OF THE FURIOUS: 12:00, 1:35, 3:00, 4:50, 6:05, 7:55, 9:10
- FREE FIRE: 12:15, 2:30, 5:10, 7:25, 9:40
- GIFTED: 1:55, 4:20, 6:50, 9:20
- GOING IN STYLE: 1:00, 5:40, 8:05
- GROW HOUSE: 3:25, 9:30
- PHOENIX FORGOTTEN: 12:05, 2:40, 4:55, 7:10, 9:25
- PROMISE: 11:50, 2:50, 5:50, 8:55
- THE ZOOKEEPER’S WIFE: 12:45, 3:40, 6:35
- UNFORGETTABLE: 1:45, 4:15, 6:45, 9:15
Mill Creek Cinema
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 2D: 11:45, 2:45, 5:45, 8:45
- FATE OF THE FURIOUS: 11:50, 1:30, 2:55, 4:45, 6:00, 7:50, 9:05
- GIFTED: 12:40, 3:10, 5:40, 8:10
- PHOENIX FORGOTTEN: 1:50, 4:05, 6:20, 8:35
- PROMISE: 12:10, 3:15, 6:15, 9:15
- THE ZOOKEEPER’S WIFE: 12:05, 3:05, 5:55, 8:50
- UNFORGETTABLE: 1:55, 4:25, 6:55, 9:25
- 50TH HUMBOLDT INT. FILM FEST: BEST OF FEST: 7:00, 9:30
- BEST OF FEST: 47TH HUMBOLDT INTL. FILM FEST THROWBACK NIGHT: 7:00
- HSU FILM FEST: 7:00
- SHOT! THE PSYCHO-SPIRITUAL MANTRA OF MICK ROCK: 2:30, 7:30
- T2 TRAINSPOTTING 2: 3:30, 9:00
- THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE: 1:30, 4:15
- THE SENSE OF AN ENDING: 1:00, 6:30
- YOUR NAME.: 5:00, 10:00