Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019’s Chowdown
So much strange in Eureka
Eureka’s packed events calendar continues to grow. In the past couple years, to the delight of the most, Humboldt’s county seat has added the Friday Night Market, the Street Art Festival and Salt and Fog Fish Fest to its list of annual human draws. This week, another local cultural experiment launches — the inaugural Eureka Fringe Festival. It’s gonna get abstract!
“Humboldt County is home to more performing artists per capita than just about anywhere in the United States,” festival organizers boast on the event’s website. “The Eureka Fringe will be an homage to the this heritage.”
Through the weekend numerous Eureka venues will host a slew of experimental theatre performances featuring performers both local and from places less great. Be warned: Fringe Fest offers more shows than you’re physically capable of seeing. To better wrap your brain around all the oddness we suggest heading over to the event’s website where you’ll find full show descriptions, schedules and ticket information. Good luck.
Eureka Fringe Festival: Thursday
Old Town Eureka / 5 p.m.
Numerous venues, inside and out, in Old Town Eureka What: The Eureka Fringe Festival opens the doors, streets, and alleyways to an explosion of creative energy. Featuring stand-up comics, improv, comedies, farces, poetry, storytelling, and music.
Web site /
Chris Thomas King
The Old Steeple / 7:30-10 p.m. / $25 / $30 At the door
The King of New Orleans Blues Born in 1962, guitarist Chris Thomas King became the last major folk blues discovery of the 20th Century when he was discovered in Louisiana in 1979 by a folklorist from the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C.
786-7030 / email@example.com / Web site /
Savage Henry Comedy Club / 9-11 p.m. / $5 / 18+
Josh Barnes runs his Comedy Extravaganza the last Thursday of every month. Variety shows, late night talk shows, stand-up showcases….whatever he feels!
845-9964 / firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
The Depot / 9 p.m. / $10 / Free HSU students
Mom Jeans is an emo rock band that was formed in Berkeley, California during 2014. They built a solid fan base on the strength of their two full length albums, and extensive tours of the United States. They are known as much for energetic performances as they are for quirky lyricism.
Web site /
- ABOMINABLE (2D): 6:10
- AD ASTRA: 11:45, 12:20, 3:15, 5:10, 9:10
- BRITTANY RUNS A MARATHON: 12:30, 3:05, 5:50, 8:30
- DOWNTON ABBEY: 11:40, 12:25, 2:30, 3:20, 6:15, 9:05
- GOOD BOYS: 4:55, 9:40
- HUSTLERS: 12:35, 1:30, 3:15, 4:10, 6:00, 6:50, 8:35, 9:30
- IT CHAPTER TWO: 12:10, 3:50, 5:20, 7:30, 9:00
- LION KING, THE 2D: 12:00, 2:45
- OFFICIAL SECRETS: 1:20, 4:00, 6:40, 9:25
- PEANUT BUTTER FALCON: 12:05, 2:30, 7:20
- RAMBO: LAST BLOOD: 11:50, 2:15, 2:40, 4:35, 7:00, 8:00, 9:20
- THE GOLDFINCH: 5:30, 8:50
Mill Creek Cinema
- ABOMINABLE (2D): 7:00
- AD ASTRA: 3:10, 6:15, 9:10
- DOWNTON ABBEY: 3:20, 5:40, 8:30, 9:20
- GOOD BOYS: 4:50, 9:25
- HUSTLERS: 3:40, 6:20, 9:00
- IT CHAPTER TWO: 4:35, 8:15
- PEANUT BUTTER FALCON: 4:35, 7:00, 9:30
- RAMBO: LAST BLOOD: 4:00, 6:25, 8:50
- THE GOLDFINCH: 6:00
- AD ASTRA: 2:00, 6:30, 9:00
- DOWNTON ABBEY: 3:00, 6:00, 8:45
- IT CHAPTER TWO: 2:30, 5:00, 9:40