Hank Sims / Friday, Aug. 4 @ 7:31 a.m. / Infrastructure
(UPDATE) IT’S NOT JUST YOU: Widespread AT&T, Frontier Internet Outage Hits Humboldt County
UPDATE, 4:30 p.m.: An AT&T spokesperson says:
Due to fiber damage resulting from a fire, some wireline customers in Humboldt and surrounding areas may be experiencing issues with their service. Technicians are engaged and working as quickly as possible to resolve the issue.
UPDATE, 10:05 a.m.: Our AT&T contact’s voicemail message box is full, naturally, and cannot accept more messages, but state Sen. Mike McGuire got through to someone. Hunker down for a nice long outage:
We are in contact with AT&T on the #Humboldt internet outage. Their team is researching causes. More to come.— Mike McGuire (@ilike_mike) August 4, 2017
#1: AT&T crews believe the #Humboldt fiber/internet outage was caused by damage to the fiber line due to the Saw Fire near Garberville.— Mike McGuire (@ilike_mike) August 4, 2017
#2: According to AT&T, their crews are not able to access area until deemed safe per Cal Fire. More updates to come. No timeline on a fix.— Mike McGuire (@ilike_mike) August 4, 2017
We awake this morning to find that, once again, the Internet has been abuzz with people typing on their phones to report that their AT&T internet/phone/TV/whatever service is down. Frontier too.
The independent tests we perform here at LoCO Labs verifies these numerous reports. The College of the Redwoods website — always a reliable bellwether, since the college hosts the thing on campus — is down. One of our internal tools shows that disaster struck just before midnight.
It certainly smells like a fiber breach. To recap: AT&T and its lessee, Frontier, run all their consumer-level data up and down AT&T’s north-south fiber optic line to the Bay Area. When that line gets cut … no internet. Suddenlink customers are still online because Suddenlink also rents space on the east-west fiber line to the Central Valley — if they can’t send your packets south, they send them to Red Bluff.
Where are you, and do you have all the internet you could wish for?
- Your AT&T U-Verse Service May Be Down; Here is Why
- (UPDATE: BACK!) Internet-O-Pocalypse! AT&T, Frontier, Possibly Other Services Busted Around Humboldt County
- THE INTERNET IS DOWN!!! Massive AT&T Outage Takes Humboldt County Phones, Internet, Etc. Offline
- The Internet is Up! Cable Slasher to Blame for Yesterday’s Outage, Says AT&T
- AT&T Offers $10,000 Bounty for Any Information Leading to the Arrest and Conviction of the Fiber Line Vandals
- Beyond Redundancy: Why Last Month’s AT&T Outage Sucked So Bad
- (UPDATE) COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN: AT&T Internet/Phone Service Outages Reported in Humboldt
- Still Steamed About the Latest AT&T Blackout? The County of Humboldt Wants to Hear It
- AT&T Says: Yes, Our New North Coast ‘Network Upgrade’ Will Include Emergency Access to East-West Fiber
- Gah! AT&T Internet Services Less Than Operational for You, Humboldt? Outage Roll Call!
- AT&T: You Lost Internet Because the Fiber Broke Again. We Fixed It. Sorry.
- Citizens Reporting Widespread AT&T Internet Outages Around the County
- AT&T Releases Statement Confirming Leggett-Area Wildfire as Cause of Internet Outage
- People are Reporting AT&T Internet Outages Around Humboldt County
- With AT&T Techs Out On Strike Statewide, Local Customers Narrowly Avoid Yet Another Big Fiber Optic Cable Outage