As Hector Godoy-Standley awaits a judge’s ruling on whether he is competent to stand trial on charges of murder and carjacking, attorneys are struggling with logistics.
Today Judge Christopher Wilson expressed frustration with ongoing complications that are delaying a competency hearing for the 22-year-old Eureka man. He was diagnosed by a local psychiatrist as developmentally disabled, but also diagnosed as mentally competent by a doctor at Napa State Hospital.
Deputy District Attorney Carolyn Schaffer told the judge this morning she is trying to work with the schedules of various witnesses, most of whom are medical experts. Schaffer said she also plans to call Godoy-Standley to testify. The prosecutor said she is “about 80 percent of the way there” in confirming witnesses.
“I want everyone to have their best foot forward” at the next hearing, Wilson told Schaffer and defense attorney David Celli. The judge noted that August was ruled out for the competency hearing because the defense was unavailable, and now the prosecution is having problems with witnesses needed for a hearing that should have happened this week.
“Everybody’s going to have to reshuffle,” Wilson said.
The next court hearing was set for Aug. 2, in hopes that a realistic date can be set then for the competency proceeding. In the meantime Godoy-Standley remains confined, as he has been since his arrest in December 2016.
Godoy-Standley, his girlfriend Catherine “Catie” Fode, Tamara Thomson, Cesar Valenzuela-Campos and Brandon Mitchell are all charged with the death of 20-year-old Tyson Eduardo Claros. He was shot multiple times, allegedly by Mitchell, during a carjacking near Manila. Fode and Mitchell reportedly believed Claros had molested their 3-year-old daughter, an allegation that was never proven.
PREVIOUSLY in GODOY-STANDLEY’S CASE:
- 20-Year-Old Shot Dead in Manila Early This Morning; Victim Found Lying in the Middle of Highway 255
- This Morning’s Manila Homicide Victim ID’d by Sheriff’s Office
- More Details Emerge in Manila Murder Conspiracy as Three Suspects Appear in Court
- INVESTIGATORS: Manila Murder Conspiracy Driven By Belief That Victim Had Sexually Abused Suspects’ Daughter
- One of ‘Manila Five’ Murder Plot Suspects Deemed Mentally Incompetent, Will Not Stand Trial
- Once Suspected in Manila Murder Plot, Hector Godoy-Standley Instead Referred to Facility Serving the Developmentally Disabled
- Alleged Murder Plot Participant Stuck in Legal Limbo, as Regional Center for Developmentally Disabled Adults Declines to Serve Him
- Defendant in Manila Murder Case Has Criminal Proceedings Against Him Suspended, Will Be Committed to a State Hospital
- Defendants in 2016 Manila Murder Plot to be Tried Separately, Judge Rules
- ‘Manila Five’ Suspect Flips: Fode Pleads Guilty to Manslaughter, Agrees to Testify Against Former Codefendants in Roadside Murder
- Psychiatrists Deem Manila Murder Plot Suspect Competent to Stand Trial, After All; Defense Will Challenge the Finding
- California Mental Hospital Inefficiencies Leave Two Humboldt Murder Suspects in Limbo