Rhonda Parker / Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017 @ 12:46 p.m. / Courts
Defendants in 2016 Manila Murder Plot to be Tried Separately, Judge Rules
The trial of four defendants in a December 2016 murder and carjacking has just become three separate trials and may become four.
This morning visiting Judge Marjorie Carter granted defense motions to sever the case against Tamara Nicole Thomson, 19, and Cesar Octavio Valenzuela, 24, from the case against 22-year-old Brandon James Mitchell and Catherine Lynn Suzanne Fode, 19. And Fode and Mitchell’s attorneys want them to be tried separately from one another, which is a motion the judge will rule on next month.
All are accused of killing 20-year-old Tyson Eduardo Claros, who Mitchell allegedly shot to death during a carjacking on state Highway 255 near Manila. Criminal proceedings were suspended against co-defendant Hector Godoy-Standley when it was found he is developmentally disabled.
At issue is a court rule that limits how much, if any, of a co-defendant’s incriminating statement can be used during trial. Thomson and her boyfriend Valenzuela were caught first and confessed to investigators, implicating themselves and the other three. Mitchell later turned himself in, and Fode and her boyfriend Godoy-Standley were arrested last.
Deputy District Attorney Carolyn Schaffer told the judge this morning that the plan now “is to try Mr. Valenzuela on his own and Ms. Thomson on her own.” The prosecution wants to try Fode and Mitchell together, but this morning their attorneys objected to that.
The problem is the pair’s relationship, Fode’s attorney Neal Sanders told the judge. The two have a young daughter together, and allegedly killed Claros because they believed he had molested the child. That allegation was never charged or proven.
Prosecutor Schaffer opposes trying Fode and Mitchell separately and will file a motion responding to Sanders’ objection.
Claros was gunned down in the early morning hours of Dec. 12. He and a friend had agreed to give Thomson a ride from Eureka to McKinleyville, and near Manila Thomson allegedly produced a handgun and threatened them. When Claros’ friend pulled her car over on Highway 255, the other four defendants reportedly drove up and jumped out of their car, all packing handguns.
Within seconds Claros had been shot several times and left dying in the roadway. His friend, the only eyewitness, watched from the roadside as the perpetrators drove off. Two of them took her car. The witness, identified during the preliminary hearing as Jane Doe, was able to identify Thomson from a Facebook photo. She named Valenzuela as the shooter, which the prosecutor said was a mistake.
Thomson told detectives she thought Claros was going to get beat up, not shot.
- 20-Year-Old Shot Dead in Manila Early This Morning; Victim Found Lying in the Middle of Highway 255
- This Morning’s Manila Homicide Victim ID’d by Sheriff’s Office
- Two Arrested in Eureka in Connection with Yesterday’s Manila Homicide
- Manila Murder Suspects Each Plead Not Guilty in Court Today
- Sheriff’s Deputies Arrest Third Person in Connection With Monday Homicide in Manila
- BOLO: Two More People Wanted by Sheriff’s Office in Connection with Manila Homicide
- Another Two Manila Homicide Suspects Taken Into Custody Last Night
- More Details Emerge in Manila Murder Conspiracy as Three Suspects Appear in Court
- INVESTIGATORS: Manila Murder Conspiracy Driven By Belief That Victim Had Sexually Abused Suspects’ Daughter
- Manila Five Appear in Court This Morning, Their Faces Ranging From Jolly to Somber as Preliminary Hearings Postponed
- Manila Five in Court: Two Confessed to Plot, Three Have Not — Should Their Cases Be Merged?
- ‘Manila Five’ Murder Plot Suspects Will Stand Trial Together; Hearing Scheduled for Next Month
- Surprise in ‘Manila Five’ Murder Plot Trial; Eyewitness Identifies Shooter, and It’s Not the Man Charged With the Crime
- ‘They Set Him Up to Be Killed’: Sheriff’s Investigator Relays Testimony of Jailhouse Informant in Manila Murder Case
- All Five Manila Killing Suspects to Stand Trial for Murder, Carjacking, Judge Rules Today
- Parents of Manila Homicide Victim Discuss the Unproven Molestation Claims that Motivated their Son’s Alleged Killers
- ‘Manila Five’ Murder Trial Scheduled for May; More Charges Added to One Suspect’s Case This Morning
- One of ‘Manila Five’ Murder Plot Suspects Deemed Mentally Incompetent, Will Not Stand Trial
- Once Suspected in Manila Murder Plot, Hector Godoy-Standley Instead Referred to Facility Serving the Developmentally Disabled
- Alleged Murder Plot Participant Stuck in Legal Limbo, as Regional Center for Developmentally Disabled Adults Declines to Serve Him