Lowdown! for Wednesday, Nov. 16
We Would Understand if You’re in the Mood to Watch a Giant Turtle Destroy Tokyo
Should you be seeking brain distraction, ’tis a fairly busy Wednesday night here in Humboldt. Some quick hits:
- Friends of longtime New Riders of Purple Sage guitarist David Nelson have been staging a series of shows in an attempt to raise funds for the ailing jammer while celebrating his music. Catch the David Nelson Get Well Harvest Tour at Humboldt Brews.
- There has likely never been a better time to donate to Planned Parenthood and you can do so by simply drinking a beer at Mad River Brewery during the latest edition of Pints for Nonprofits.
- Gabe Pressure, one of Humboldt’s favorite DJs, is celebrating his birthday tonight — how else? — by distributing menacing beats up at the Tip Top Club.
- Director Jim Jarmusch has been again receiving much acclaim, this time for his new documentary documenting the music and destruction of Iggy Pop and the Stooges. Gimme Danger screens at the Richards’ Goat Tavern Miniplex.
- It’s Sci-Fi Pint and Pizza Night up at the Arcata Theatre Lounge again. It’s not Godzilla… It’s Gamera! Another giant lizard with a hankering for stomping all over Tokyo. Get a sample of the mayhem in the YouTube clip below and/or scroll your Lowdown listings below for more Wednesday night yay.
Arcata Theatre Lounge / 6 p.m.
The first entry of this Sci-Fi epic takes place midst the peak of the Cold War, as conflict between the East and West transforms into a nuclear disaster! This atomic explosion releases more than massive radiation, it awakens an ancient and long-forgotten legend of – Gamera!
Web site /
The Miniplex at Richards’ Goat Tavern / 7 p.m. / $8 / $6.50 matinee / 21+
This feature-length anime was adapted from the historical manga series, about early-19th-century painter Katsushika Hokusai (best known for The Great Wave off Kanagawa, the most-reproduced Japanese artwork ever).
Web site /
- ALMOST CHRISTMAS: 1:20, 4:00, 6:45, 9:20
- ARRIVAL: 12:20, 3:10, 5:55, 8:45
- CASABLANCA: 2:00, 7:00
- DOCTOR STRANGE 2D: 12:55, 3:45, 6:35, 9:25
- DOCTOR STRANGE 3D: 11:55, 2:45, 5:35, 8:25
- HACKSAW RIDGE: 11:50, 2:55, 6:00, 9:05
- INFERNO: 12:30, 3:20, 6:10, 9:00
- JACK REACHER: NEVER GO BACK: 12:25, 3:15, 6:05, 8:50
- MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN 2D: 12:35, 3:35, 9:15
- SHUT IN: 12:05, 4:50, 7:10, 9:30
- THE ACCOUNTANT: 1:10, 6:40
- TROLLS 2D: 12:00, 1:00, 3:25, 4:40, 5:45, 6:55, 8:00
- TROLLS 3D: 2:20, 9:10
- TYLER PERRY’S BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN: 4:10, 9:35
Mill Creek Cinema
- ARRIVAL: 3:10, 5:55, 8:40
- DOCTOR STRANGE 2D: 3:35, 6:25, 9:15
- DOCTOR STRANGE 3D: 2:45, 8:20
- HACKSAW RIDGE: 2:55, 6:00, 9:05
- INFERNO: 5:35
- JACK REACHER: NEVER GO BACK: 3:00, 8:50
- SHUT IN: 4:45, 7:10, 9:30
- THE ACCOUNTANT: 5:45
- TROLLS 2D: 4:50, 6:10, 7:05, 9:25
- TROLLS 3D: 3:50, 8:25
- A MAN CALLED OVE: 6:30
- DOCTOR STRANGE: 4:30, 8:30, 10:30
- MARY JANE: A MUSICAL POTUMENTARY: 3:45
- THE ACCOUNTANT: 5:00, 5:15
- THE LOVE WITCH: 2:30, 9:30