It’s happening again.
Just a couple of weeks after their last 48-hour mass telecommunications outage, AT&T Humboldt County customers seem to have lost their connection to the outside world.
Internal diagnostic tools here at LoCO Central seem to indicate the outage struck a few seconds after 4:57 p.m. Once again, the College of the Redwoods website — the canary in the coal mine for most fiber-optic breaches — is offline. Frontier Communications internet services down in Ferndale are out of commission. The consensus among LoCO Facebook fans is that there is a widespread AT&T internet outage throughout the county of the sort that happens when AT&T’s sole fiber-optic connection to the outside world is cut, like it frequently is.
AT&T cell phone customers may still be up, as that all seems to depend on the backbone that serves the particular tower you are connecting to.
Local customers of Suddenlink and certain other telecommunications services are, as usual, unaffected. This, too, would point to a breach on the AT&T line, as those services also rent space on the east-west fiber optic line to the Central Valley, which AT&T seems obstinately unwilling to do, for whatever reason.
We’ll update if we ever find out more. If you read only one thing on AT&T’s fraught relationship with its customers in Humboldt County — including government emergency services, numerous large businesses, health care companies, Frontier Communications and of course regular old Joes, all of whom suffer when service goes down — then read this.
- Your AT&T U-Verse Service May Be Down; Here is Why
- (UPDATE: BACK!) Internet-O-Pocalypse! AT&T, Frontier, Possibly Other Services Busted Around Humboldt County
- THE INTERNET IS DOWN!!! Massive AT&T Outage Takes Humboldt County Phones, Internet, Etc. Offline
- The Internet is Up! Cable Slasher to Blame for Yesterday’s Outage, Says AT&T
- AT&T Offers $10,000 Bounty for Any Information Leading to the Arrest and Conviction of the Fiber Line Vandals
- Beyond Redundancy: Why Last Month’s AT&T Outage Sucked So Bad
- (UPDATE) COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN: AT&T Internet/Phone Service Outages Reported in Humboldt
- Still Steamed About the Latest AT&T Blackout? The County of Humboldt Wants to Hear It
- AT&T Says: Yes, Our New North Coast ‘Network Upgrade’ Will Include Emergency Access to East-West Fiber
- Gah! AT&T Internet Services Less Than Operational for You, Humboldt? Outage Roll Call!
- AT&T: You Lost Internet Because the Fiber Broke Again. We Fixed It. Sorry.
- Citizens Reporting Widespread AT&T Internet Outages Around the County
- AT&T Releases Statement Confirming Leggett-Area Wildfire as Cause of Internet Outage
- People are Reporting AT&T Internet Outages Around Humboldt County
- With AT&T Techs Out On Strike Statewide, Local Customers Narrowly Avoid Yet Another Big Fiber Optic Cable Outage
- (UPDATE) IT’S NOT JUST YOU: Widespread AT&T, Frontier Internet Outage Hits Humboldt County
- Humboldt Awakes to Another Mass AT&T Internet Outage for the Second Time This Month
- AT&T, Frontier Internet/Cell/Phone Service Down, Almost Certainly Due to Fiber Meltage From Mendo, Sonoma Fires
- Two Years Ago, AT&T Promised to End Mass Telecommunication Outages. How’s That Working Out?