Friday, June 10, 2016’s Chowdown
Lookee here. There are many ways Humboldters can spend their Friday not at home, OK? You are worthy.
For starters, the monthly return of Arts Arcata means a wealth of fun distractions in the downtown — musical draws at HumBrews, Richard’s Goat and Arcata Vets Hall as well as your requisite Humboldt Crabs trouncing are worth your consideration. Special shoutout to LoCO contributor Chuck Johnson who is unveiling his latest edition of The Big Picture Humboldt, a collection of black and white photography plastered up in Northtown Books’ alley. If you loved LoCO’s recent zebra-riffic Facebook cover photo, you can see that in unpixelated form there. (Way more Arcata stuff in your Lowdown listings below).
One other Arts Arcata-ish thing that caught our eye: The Sanctuary will be screening Akira Kurosawa’s beloved 1990 eye assault Dreams behind a stage featuring eight rotating musical acts. That sounds potentially gloriously weird. Potentially.
# # #
Briefly: You may notice herds of shiny motorcycles passing through Humboldt at various points this weekend. Don’t be afraid. They are headed to the Riverview Ranch in Piercy for the annual Redwood Run where they will enjoy ‘80s rockers Great White, sunshine and exposed breasts. OK, maybe be afraid.
Finally, it’s a big, red green carpet night for Dell’Arte. Locally conscious individuals are aware that Blue Lake’s internationally known theatre school have staged various incarnations of Mary Jane: The Musical — a musical celebration of local marijuana culture — over the past several years. You should also recall that Dell’Arte had been working diligently on bringing that stage production to the big screen. Remember? Ed Asner? Well, tonight is the night we all get to see this “potumentary” for the first time. The film screens tonight at the Eureka Theater. Trailer below.
Still don’t understand what the hell Mary Jane is? Director John Howarth and star/write Joan Schirle recently spoke with KHUM’s Bayley Brown about their emerald baby, which you can hear below. —Andrew Goff
2016 Redwood Run
Riverview Ranch / 9 a.m. / 21+
There is something for everyone at the Redwood Run. That is unless you don’t like motorcycles, great music, beautiful women, beer and cocktails, good food or just being in one of the most beautiful areas of California. Musical headliners: Great White and Fryed Brothers.
Humboldt Folklife Society Barn Dance
Arcata Vets Hall / 7:30-11 p.m. / Free / $7 sliding scale $7-$15 / Free kids 12 and under / $5 students/seniors/members
Come spin around with Striped Pig Stringband and caller Lyndsey Battle to help raise funds for North Star Quest Camp in a fun, family friendly setting.
Web site /
The Stargazer Lilies, Gobi Blank, D3D
The Miniplex at Richards’ Goat Tavern / 8 p.m. / 21+
The headliners “channel the reverb-washed slo-mo assault of Slowdive and the sparkling ambiance of Air into a lush, guitar-swollen whole.” Yeah!
630-5000 / Web site /
BPBS Fest 2016: 6th Annual (Recurring) DREAMS
The Sanctuary / 8 p.m. / $12 / $10 adv.
The event features Akira Kurosawa’s 1990 film, Dreams, projected onto a large screen, with a live score provided by eight musical acts!
firstname.lastname@example.org / Web site /
Mary Jane: The Musical Movie Premiere
Eureka Theatre / 8 p.m. / $20 / $15 adv.
Dell’Arte is thrilled to invite you to the world premiere of the highly anticipated “potumentary”. The film, created by Emmy Award Nominee John Howarth, examines the cannabis culture, impact, and it’s future in Humboldt County. The film features sixteen songs about the herb and local cameos.
668-5663 / email@example.com / Web site /
Melvin Seals and JGB
Humboldt Brews / 9 p.m. / $25 / 21+
“Melvin Seals has been a powerful presence in the music industry for over 30 years with a long-established reputation as a performer, recording artist and producer. Melvin is most revered for his powerful, high-spirited, Hammond B-3 organ, and keyboards in the Jerry Garcia Band. Two nights!”
826-2739 / Web site /
Eel River Valley
- ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS 2D: 11:45, 2:55, 5:40, 8:25
- JUNGLE BOOK 2D: 1:45, 4:25, 7:00
- ME BEFORE YOU: 12:35, 3:20, 6:00, 8:40
- NOW YOU SEE ME 2: 11:55, 2:40, 5:35, 8:20
- POPSTAR: NEVER STOP NEVER STOPPING: 12:25, 2:35, 7:20, 9:35
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS 2D: 12:05, 1:00, 3:45, 5:30, 6:35, 9:15
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS 3D: 2:45, 8:10
- THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE 2D: 11:35, 1:55, 4:20, 6:45, 9:05
- THE CONJURING 2: 12:00, 3:00, 6:05, 9:10
- THE LOBSTER: 12:30, 3:15, 6:10, 8:55
- THE NICE GUYS: 4:45, 9:30
- WARCRAFT 2D: 12:40, 6:30, 9:25
- WARCRAFT 3D: 3:35
- X-MEN: APOCALYPSE 2D: 11:40, 2:30, 5:45, 9:00
Mill Creek Cinema
- ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS 2D: 3:35, 9:00
- ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS 3D: 12:40, 6:20
- ME BEFORE YOU: 1:15, 3:55, 6:35, 9:15
- NOW YOU SEE ME 2: 12:10, 2:50, 5:40, 8:30
- POPSTAR: NEVER STOP NEVER STOPPING: 9:25
- TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS 2D: 12:05, 3:05, 6:00, 8:55
- THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE 2D: 11:55, 2:15, 4:40, 7:00
- THE CONJURING 2: 12:00, 3:00, 6:05, 9:10
- WARCRAFT 2D: 12:50, 3:45, 6:40
- WARCRAFT 3D: 9:30
- X-MEN: APOCALYPSE 2D: 11:50, 2:45, 5:45, 8:40