The Arcata Planning Commission on Tuesday night unanimously passed a resolution recommending the City Council approve the removal of the McKinley statue from the Arcata Plaza. The project will go before the council at its meeting next week.
This controversial topic was returning to the commission following a series of exciting statue-related events. The Arcata City Council already voted to remove the statue last year, after which, a group of citizens who disagreed with the council’s decision drafted an initiative measure to keep the statue in its place. Arcata citizens then voted down the measure in November, showing public support for the statue’s removal.
Arcata Community Development Director David Loya provided the staff report to the commission on Tuesday, explaining that this resolution includes recommending some necessary amendments to the general plan. Because the statue is considered a historic landmark, the City needs to consider the unavoidable impacts the removal will have.
“There are impacts to historic resources that can’t be mitigated,” Loya explained to the commission. Loya said that the resolution includes a statement of overriding consideration — meaning the evaluation determines that social and environmental factors outweigh those historic impacts.
Several community members spoke during public comment, all in favor of the statue’s removal. Eureka resident Meg Stofsky addressed the issue of where the City might relocate the statue. Canton, Ohio, home to McKinley’s burial site, has expressed interest in the statue, which Stofsky said she thought would be a fitting location.
“Any other place locally, [the statue] would run the risk of being a continued source of historical trauma,” she said.
The decision of where to relocate the statue will be up to the Arcata City Council, which will review the project at its next meeting — Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 6 p.m. at Arcata City Hall (736 F Street).
When the full agenda is posted you will be able to view it here.
You can view the full Planning Commission meeting video here.
- Arcata City Council to Hold Special Meeting on the Future of the McKinley Statue, Jacoby’s Storehouse Plaque
- Arcata City Council Votes to Remove McKinley Statue From the Plaza
- (VIDEO) The Night They Tore Old McKinley Down
- Arcata City Council to Hold Mega-Meeting Next Week to Ask Itself Whether it Should Ask Voters Where They Would Most Like to See the McKinley Statue Moved To (Including Where it Is)
- (PHOTOS) These Historical Postcards Show Arcata’s McKinley Statue Through the Years
- 7 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About the Ol’ McKinley Statue in Arcata’s Plaza
- Don’t Hold Your Breath, Arcata: Removing the McKinley Statue Is Going to Take a Long, Long Time
- Arcata Would Be First U.S. City to Tear Down a Presidential Monument Based on His Misdeeds, the Los Angeles Times Reports
- (VIDEO) ‘NO STATUE IS SAFE’: Arcata’s McKinley Statue Debated on Fox News
- (VIDEOS/AUDIO) Oh, Fox News Cannot Get Enough of Arcata’s McKinley Statue
- TONIGHT: McKinley Statue Removal Process Meeting; Public Comment Sought
- Initiative Measure to Keep McKinley Statue Approved for November Ballot
- Arcata City Council Votes to Put McKinley Statue Removal on November Ballot
- Let’s Have a Look at the Ballot Arguments For and Against Removing the McKinley Statue in Arcata
- Someone Has Disfigured the McKinley Statue by Spraying it With A Patina-Eating Chemical
- McKinley Statue Removal Proponents Release Statement Saying They Played No Role in Recent Vandalism
- What’s Next for Arcata’s McKinley Statue? Probably a Swampy Old Storage Yard