UPDATE, 9:15 a.m.: Press release from the City of Arcata:
The statue of President William McKinley was removed from Arcata’s Plaza on Thursday, February 28. City staff continued with the statue removal process when a break in the rain occurred with a long enough window for it to be transported safely and at a time when Plaza businesses, parking and traffic would be least impacted.
The City is currently working with the City of Canton, Ohio to relocate the statue.
UPDATE, 8:25: a.m.: Still fairly quiet on the Plaza, apart from the machinery. Not too many onlookers, and no one appears to be there to mourn, at least at the moment.
A few moments ago, Arcata City Manager Karen Diemer spoke with the Outpost’s Andrew Goff at the scene. She said that the city hadn’t intended to remove the statue in secret — that it was working within a short “weather window,” to get the job done, she said.
President William McKinley was ushered off the Arcata Plaza early this morning, after standing at the town’s center for more than 100 years.
The removal of the statue this morning had not been announced — the president left without ceremony — but the project has been in the works since the City Council voted to remove it last year.
We’ll have more later this morning.
- Arcata City Council to Hold Special Meeting on the Future of the McKinley Statue, Jacoby’s Storehouse Plaque
- Arcata City Council Votes to Remove McKinley Statue From the Plaza
- (VIDEO) The Night They Tore Old McKinley Down
- Arcata City Council to Hold Mega-Meeting Next Week to Ask Itself Whether it Should Ask Voters Where They Would Most Like to See the McKinley Statue Moved To (Including Where it Is)
- Don’t Hold Your Breath, Arcata: Removing the McKinley Statue Is Going to Take a Long, Long Time
- Arcata Would Be First U.S. City to Tear Down a Presidential Monument Based on His Misdeeds, the Los Angeles Times Reports
- (VIDEO) ‘NO STATUE IS SAFE’: Arcata’s McKinley Statue Debated on Fox News
- (VIDEOS/AUDIO) Oh, Fox News Cannot Get Enough of Arcata’s McKinley Statue
- TONIGHT: McKinley Statue Removal Process Meeting; Public Comment Sought
- Initiative Measure to Keep McKinley Statue Approved for November Ballot
- Arcata City Council Votes to Put McKinley Statue Removal on November Ballot
- Someone Has Disfigured the McKinley Statue by Spraying it With A Patina-Eating Chemical
- McKinley Statue Removal Proponents Release Statement Saying They Played No Role in Recent Vandalism
- What’s Next for Arcata’s McKinley Statue? Probably a Swampy Old Storage Yard.
- Arcata Planning Commission Passes Resolution Recommending McKinley Statue Removal
- Arcata Has Offers for the McKinley Statue on the Table From Parties in Ohio, Alaska, the East Coast and Locally
- Arcata City Council Votes to Relocate McKinley Statue to Canton, Ohio