UPDATE, 8:30 p.m.: College of the Redwoods is back, and you probably are too.
UPDATE, 7:35 p.m.: Looks like it’s not the Fiber This Time? Several customers have contacted the Outpost to say that their Uverse is still up, so we’re leaning toward a more localized outage — perhaps just around Humboldt Bay.
For background on the folly attempting to get information from AT&T itself at times like these, see here.
Some people seem to still be customers of AT&T for some reason, and those people are reporting no internet.
@LCOutpost Internet down again? No home connection; ping CR website via phone and get nothing…— (((Lefty))) (@leftwingtwit) December 4, 2017
Signs again point to a fiber breach. Everyone’s favorite canary in the cybermine — the College of the Redwoods website — is down.
Again: AT&T refuses to rent space on the east-west fiber-optic line to the Central Valley, so when their own fiber to the Bay Area is snipped — as it is so very often! — half the county goes offline. That includes phones, internet, some ATMs, debit/credit card processors, the occasional 911 service, etc.
Suddenlink customers are fine, as always,
because Suddenlink rents space on the east-west line for some other reason.
- Your AT&T U-Verse Service May Be Down; Here is Why
- (UPDATE: BACK!) Internet-O-Pocalypse! AT&T, Frontier, Possibly Other Services Busted Around Humboldt County
- THE INTERNET IS DOWN!!! Massive AT&T Outage Takes Humboldt County Phones, Internet, Etc. Offline
- The Internet is Up! Cable Slasher to Blame for Yesterday’s Outage, Says AT&T
- AT&T Offers $10,000 Bounty for Any Information Leading to the Arrest and Conviction of the Fiber Line Vandals
- Beyond Redundancy: Why Last Month’s AT&T Outage Sucked So Bad
- (UPDATE) COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN: AT&T Internet/Phone Service Outages Reported in Humboldt
- Still Steamed About the Latest AT&T Blackout? The County of Humboldt Wants to Hear It
- AT&T Says: Yes, Our New North Coast ‘Network Upgrade’ Will Include Emergency Access to East-West Fiber
- Gah! AT&T Internet Services Less Than Operational for You, Humboldt? Outage Roll Call!
- AT&T: You Lost Internet Because the Fiber Broke Again. We Fixed It. Sorry.
- Citizens Reporting Widespread AT&T Internet Outages Around the County
- AT&T Releases Statement Confirming Leggett-Area Wildfire as Cause of Internet Outage
- People are Reporting AT&T Internet Outages Around Humboldt County
- With AT&T Techs Out On Strike Statewide, Local Customers Narrowly Avoid Yet Another Big Fiber Optic Cable Outage
- (UPDATE) IT’S NOT JUST YOU: Widespread AT&T, Frontier Internet Outage Hits Humboldt County
- Humboldt Awakes to Another Mass AT&T Internet Outage for the Second Time This Month
- AT&T, Frontier Internet/Cell/Phone Service Down, Almost Certainly Due to Fiber Meltage From Mendo, Sonoma Fires
- Two Years Ago, AT&T Promised to End Mass Telecommunication Outages. How’s That Working Out?
- AT&T and Frontier Sure Seem to be Down Again in a Catastrophically Breached Fiber-Optic Line Kind of Way