Rhonda Parker / Monday, June 19 @ 1:22 p.m. / Courts
Court Allows Jailed Murder Suspect Jon Goldberg to Visit With 7-Year-Old Son, Over Prosecution’s Objections
the first time since his arrest nine months ago, murder suspect Jon
David Goldberg will be allowed in the same room as his young son.
This morning visiting Judge Marjorie Carter agreed to allow the child a “contact” visit with his father on Wednesday in Humboldt County Correctional Facility.
The boy will be brought to the jail by his grandmother, Jon Goldberg’s mother.
Goldberg is charged with shooting Timothy Smith to death on Sept. 26 after finding out Smith was having an affair with his wife, Rachel Goldberg. In a separate case, he is charged with threatening Rachel with a gun, and firing shots around her, earlier the same day.
Deputy District Attorney Luke Bernthal had objected to the jail visit, saying the child was “present or at least on the property” when the shots were fired. The boy spent the rest of the day with his distraught mother. Bernthal said it’s possible he could be called as a defense witness.
Also, Bernthal argued, it was unknown whether Rachel Goldberg approved of the visit.
“I would think the court would want to know what the victim’s position is,” Bernthal said. … “She’s expressed a desire to have my office not contact her.”
But Deputy Public Defender Casey Russo was able to show the judge and Bernthal a copy of Rachel’s Goldberg’s notarized statement granting permission for the visit.
“It does appear that we have a notarized copy,” Carter said. “I will sign the order.”
Outside the courtroom, Russo said the boy has visited Goldberg before, but always with a glass partition between them. This visit will be supervised by the grandmother and a correctional officer, he said.
Rachel Goldberg refused to testify against her husband in the case naming her as the victim. She now lives in Solano County.
Jon Goldberg, 37, is scheduled for jury trial next month.
- Man Shot, Killed Off Rohnerville Road in Fortuna; Police Searching for Suspect
- ’Fortuna Police Release Statement on Today’s Homicide; Shooting Resulted From ‘Personal Dispute’
- Fortuna Murder Suspect Arrested by SWAT Team East of Bridgeville; Victim ID’d
- Jon Goldberg, Suspect in Fortuna Murder, Appears in Court; Victim’s Wife Testifies
- Goldberg’s Attorney Says He Needs More Time
- New Charge Added in Goldberg Trial: DA’s Office Alleges Suspect Beat His Wife Before Killing Her Lover in Fortuna
- Surprise Witness Delays Hearing on New Spousal Battery Charges for Accused Murderer Jon Goldberg
- Accused Murder Suspects in Eureka, Fortuna Shootings Both Appear in Court
- Fortuna Murder Suspect Jon Goldberg’s Attorney Asks Judge For Closed Hearing
- Fortuna Murder Suspect Jon Goldberg’s Legal Team Continues to Push for Closed Courtroom for Hearing on Wife-Beating Charges
- Goldberg Hearing Delayed Again; Wife of Suspect in Slaying of Fortuna Firefighter Unable to Make Court Date
- Fortuna Murder Suspect Jon Goldberg’s Wife Held in Contempt for Refusing to Testify; Wife’s Friend Provides Testimony About Alleged Spousal Abuse
- Trial for Fortuna Man Accused of Killing Wife’s Lover Postponed Four Months
- JUDGE AFFIRMS: Murder Suspect Jon Goldberg Will Also Face Charges of Threatening Wife With Gun