deliberating in the Jon David Goldberg murder trial were summoned to
the courtroom this morning after one or more jurors were heard
discussing the case outside the jury room.
“Don’t talk about it,” Visiting Judge Graham Cribbs warned the jurors. “Don’t talk about it unless you’re with the other 12 jurors.”
Cribbs said he was notified that “apparently something occurred today.” He didn’t single out any jurors or specify what happened, but he reminded the panel about how the Humboldt County Courthouse is configured, “especially the long hallways.”
“You folks don’t have a clue,” the judge said, “as to who might overhear the conversation or comment.”
Cribbs noted jurors have been involved in the Goldberg case for “25 or 26 days,” including jury selection.
“From the beginning,” he said, “at each break, morning, noon and night, I’ve told you to keep your mouths zipped. Please remember, do not discuss the facts of this case outside this courtroom … Please keep your mouths shut with regards to the evidence in this case.”
‘The stakes are high for the 37-year-old Goldberg, who faces life in prison if convicted of murdering Fortuna resident Timothy Smith on Sept. 26, 2016. This also is a crucial verdict for Smith’s grieving family members, who have packed the courtroom during every day of trial.
Goldberg was in court this morning with his attorney, Deputy Public Defender Casey Russo, when jurors were brought in. Deputy District Attorney Luke Bernthal was also present.
Jurors got the case about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and would have deliberated for less than an hour. They returned this morning to resume their discussion. Cribbs called them into court about 10 a.m. for the brief admonishment, and they left for the lunch break from noon to 1:30 p.m.
Goldberg is charged with shooting the 42-year-old Smith to death after learning Smith was having an affair with his wife, Rachel Goldberg. Bernthal characterized the killing as premeditated murder, while Russo said Goldberg was acting in self-defense.
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY ONE: Ruthless Revenge Killing or Unfortunate Tragedy? Murder Trial Underway for Man Accused of Murdering Wife’s Boyfriend in Fortuna
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY TWO: Witness Testifies That Accused Murderer Physically Fought With His Wife, Fired Weapon Near Her on Morning of Crime
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY THREE: Nearby Construction Workers Testify They Saw Murder Suspect Casing House Before Tim Smith Was Shot Dead
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY FOUR: Victim’s Wife Testifies She Heard Gunshots Then Ran Outside to Find Her Husband Dying on the Ground
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY FIVE, Part I: ‘I just held my mom and told her it was going to be OK,’ Victim’s Son Testifies
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY FIVE, Part II: Suspect Said He Was Going to Kill Wife’s Boyfriend, Neighbor Testifies
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY SIX: The Victim’s Son and a DA Investigator Testified Today, Along With a Man Who Was Flipped Off By Murder Suspect on the Day of the Shooting
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY SEVEN, Part I: Four of the Five of the Bullets That Struck Tim Smith Could Have Killed Him On Their Own, Medical Examiner Testifies
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY SEVEN, Part II: Friend Testifies He Drove Murder Suspect Home Day of Shooting, Told Him Cops Were Coming and to Be Nice
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY EIGHT, Part I: Expert Witness Tells Jury About Communication Between the Victim, the Suspect and Each of Their Wives on the Morning of the Shooting
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY EIGHT, Part II: Defense Witness Call Goldbergs a Bridgeville ‘Power Couple’; Attorney Seeks to Raise Doubts About Whether Victim Was Unarmed
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY NINE: Murder Suspect’s Wife Gives Tearful Testimony, Says She Had Sex, Shared Explicit Photos With Victim
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY TEN: Mother of the Accused Testifies About What He Was Like as a Boy; Psychologist Says Goldberg Told Him Shooting Was Accidental
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY 11, Part 1: Murder Suspect Takes the Stand, Tearfully Recounts Learning of His Wife’s Affair With Victim
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, DAY 11: Accident, Self-Defense or Murder? Jon Goldberg Testifies About the Moment He Shot Tim Smith
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, FINAL DAY: Murder Suspect Wraps Up Emotional Testimony; Jury to Deliberate Monday
- Closing Arguments Underway in Goldberg Murder Trial
- GOLDBERG TRIAL, CLOSING ARGUMENTS: ‘Not Guilty’ the Only Reasonable Verdict, Says Defense Attorney in Passionate Appeal to Jury
- GOLDBERG CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Prosecution Wraps Up By Ridiculing Defense’s Case; Accused Murderer’s Fate in Hands of Jury