Rhonda Parker / Tuesday, June 13, 2017 @ 5:56 p.m. / Courts
Marci Kitchen Trial Date Set for November; Full Proceedings Expected to Last One Month
Marcia ‘Marci’ Kitchen, accused of running over and killing her daughter and another teenage girl, is scheduled for a jury trial in November.
This morning Judge Marilyn Miles set a Nov. 13 trial date for Kitchen, who was in court with her two attorneys and a group of supporters. A trial confirmation hearing was set for Oct. 10.
Attorney Ben Okin told the judge he expects the trial, including jury selection, to last a month.
Kitchen, 39, allegedly was driving drunk on Eel River Drive the evening of July 12 when her Jeep Wrangler struck her daughter Kiya Kitchen and Kiya’s friend Faith Tsarnas, both 14. The girls had been skateboarding in the road.
Tsarnas died at the scene, and Kiya died in the hospital the next morning.
During Kitchen’s preliminary hearing, her son testified that his mother came home intoxicated and asked him to drive her wrecked Jeep into a basketball hoop so she could claim that’s how it was damaged. Kitchen told several people that she thought she hit a deer.
Kitchen, arrested after a two-month investigation by the California Highway Patrol, posted $750,000 bail and remains out of custody.
- Fortuna Fatal Hit-and-Run: CHP Seeks Public’s Help in Tracking Down Marcia Kitchen and Josh Pearlston
- Marci Kitchen, Suspect in Death of Two Girls in Fortuna, Arrested on Vehicular Manslaughter Charges, Released on Bail
- Marci Kitchen Will be Arraigned This Afternoon on Numerous Charges, Including Gross Vehicular Manslaughter, Sheriff’s Office Says
- Marci Kitchen Arraigned for Killing Her Daughter, Another Teen in Hit-and-Run
- Marcia ‘Marci’ Kitchen Hearing Postponed Until March
- Facing Charges of Killing Her Own Daughter and Another Teen in Hit-and-Run, Marcia Kitchen Files Claims For Damages Due to Road Conditions
- Kitchen Trial Delayed Again; Preliminary Hearing on Manslaughter Charges Against Fortuna Mom Now Scheduled For May, Expected to Last Five Days
- Marci Kitchen Has 48 Hours to Hand Over Her Passport
- Marci Kitchen Surrenders Passport, Receives Court Permission to Travel to Oregon for Boyfriend’s Grandmother’s Birthday Party
- KITCHEN CASE: After Much Delay, Five-Day Pretrial Hearing of Accused Drunk-Driving Killer of Two Teenage Girls Will Start May 8
- KITCHEN HEARING DAY ONE: Kitchen Told Friend She ‘Hit the Girls,’ Initially Thought She’d Hit a Deer, CHP Officer Testifies; Collision Scene Described
- KITCHEN HEARING, DAY TWO: Marci Kitchen’s Son Testifies That His Mother Killed His Sister and Her Friend While Drunk, Then Tried to Cover Up the Crime
- KITCHEN HEARING, DAY THREE: Suspect’s Son Cross-Examined By Defense Attorneys, But Judge Holds Kitchen to Answer On All Charges
- Additional Charges Filed Against Marci Kitchen During Today’s Arraignment; Trial Date to Be Decided in June