Above: Arcata City Councilmember Paul Pitino discusses the occupation.
UPDATE, 7 a.m.: The Mad River Union reports that Justice for Josiah protesters were prepared to wait to have their demands met and occupied Arcata City Council chambers until late last night.
Read more here.
# # #
Images: Stephanie McGeary
Original Post: Wednesday night’s Arcata City Council meeting was cancelled and rescheduled for Thursday after protesters filled council chambers in support of slain HSU student David Josiah Lawson, who was stabbed to death 16 months ago. Lawson’s case remains unsolved.
Just as the meeting was about to get underway, community members streamed into the room, lined the walls and began to chant at city officials, demanding they “Bring Tom Parker Back” — Parker is the retired FBI agent who spent some time working with the Arcata Police Department on the case until a few months ago when the relationship soured. City officials decided it best to call off the meeting. As of now, protesters continue to rally inside council chambers.
In advance of tonight’s action the Justice for Josiah Lawson Committee released the below statement:
PREVIOUS LoCO COVERAGE:
- Jail Records Reveal Name of Suspect in Fatal Arcata Stabbing
- Arcata Police Receive Anonymous Email Detailing Specifics of Arcata Homicide, Beg Author to Come Forward; Suspect Officially Named
- ‘He Was the One’: Josiah Lawson, Humboldt State Student and President of Brothers United, Remembered at Campus Prayer Service
- Zoellner Pleads Not Guilty to Arcata Stabbing Murder; Bail Set at $1 Million
- United by Tragedy, HSU Community Celebrates the Life and Mourns the Death of David Josiah Lawson
- ‘It Should Not Have Happened’: Friend of Arcata Murder Victim Believes Racism Delayed the Emergency Medical Response That Could Have Saved His Life
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: First Witnesses Cast Doubt on Whether the Police Department’s Suspect Could Have Stabbed Victim; More Testimony Coming Tomorrow
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: Witness Testifies That Lawson and Zoellner Were Grappling as the Victim Bled; Police Officer Describes Chaotic Crime Scene
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: Friends Testify on ‘Girl Fight’ Between Lawson and Zoellner’s Girlfriends Prior to Fatal Stabbing
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: More Testimony on the Knife Found at the Scene; Lawson’s Friend Testifies He Saw Zoellner Drop Something Shiny
- Judge Dismisses Case Against Kyle Zoellner, McKinleyville Man Arrested in Stabbing Death of HSU Student David Josiah Lawson
- Arcata’s Police Chief, Vice Mayor React to Zoellner Hearing Ruling
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: Kyle Zoellner to Be Released After Judge Reinholtsen Rules Not Enough Evidence to Hold Him For Stabbing Death of Josiah Lawson
- (PHOTOS) Protesters March Through Arcata Demanding ‘Justice for Josiah’
- HSU Faculty, UPD, Brothers United Participate in Radio Town Hall on Lawson Case Tonight; Arcata Mayor Releases Statement; HSU Walk Out Planned Tuesday
- (PHOTOS/VIDEO) After Busy Week, Family and Friends of Josiah Lawson Still Seeking Justice
- Josiah Lawson’s Mother Offers $10k Reward for Information Leading to the Conviction of Son’s Killer
- Arcata Calls in Outside Investigators, Approves $21K Reward for Info Leading to Conviction of Lawson Killer
- Kyle Zoellner Appears in Court to Request Law Enforcement Return His Cell Phone, Laptops; Judge Says No
- (VIDEO) This Morning’s Lawson Murder Press Conference Offers Few Updates
- Public Investigator Working With APD in Josiah Lawson Case
- Kyle Zoellner, Once Suspected of Homicide in David Josiah Lawson Slaying, Files Claim Against City of Arcata For Defamation, Pain and Suffering, Emotional Distress