Nearly a dozen community members spoke to the Arcata City Council during last night’s meeting, demanding that the city seek help from the Department of Justice in the David Josiah Lawson case.
Next month will mark two years since David Josiah Lawson, a 19-year-old sophomore at HSU, was fatally stabbed at an off-campus party. His murder has since remained unsolved. The Humboldt County District Attorney’s announced last week that a criminal grand jury had decided against issuing any indictments in the case.
“We are angry and frustrated,” Jill Larrabee said to the council. “We are asking for you to do everything in all of your power to help request the DOJ and AG take over the investigation and prosecution of this case.”
The Arcata Police Department and Chief Brian Ahearn have said that they will continue to investigate Lawson’s murder after the DA’s announcement. But some community members said they fear that local authorities are not capable of bringing this case to a close.
“It’s very apparent that no entity in this county is able to handle this case,” Kelsey Reedy said to the council members. “It’s been almost two years now and it’s been told to us by multiple people that this is an open and shut case. We demand that you call in the DOJ.”
Mayor Brett Watson addressed the speakers’ concerns, saying that the council has been seeking state intervention on the case.
“We have sent letters previously to the Department of Justice and the Attorney General and right now we are working on new, refresh letters — new call for their help to step in,” Watson said. “We’re also reaching out to our fellow electeds, local and our state elected representatives to please also send additional letters.”
Arcata City Manager Karen Diemer told the crowd that the council has sought help from the Police Foundation to investigate the city’s response on the night Lawson was killed. Diemer said that the Foundation has completed its investigation, that the City should have the document by May, and that it will be made public.
- Jail Records Reveal Name of Suspect in Fatal Arcata Stabbing
- Arcata Police Receive Anonymous Email Detailing Specifics of Arcata Homicide, Beg Author to Come Forward; Suspect Officially Named
- ‘He Was the One’: Josiah Lawson, Humboldt State Student and President of Brothers United, Remembered at Campus Prayer Service
- Zoellner Pleads Not Guilty to Arcata Stabbing Murder; Bail Set at $1 Million
- United by Tragedy, HSU Community Celebrates the Life and Mourns the Death of David Josiah Lawson
- ‘It Should Not Have Happened’: Friend of Arcata Murder Victim Believes Racism Delayed the Emergency Medical Response That Could Have Saved His Life
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: First Witnesses Cast Doubt on Whether the Police Department’s Suspect Could Have Stabbed Victim; More Testimony Coming Tomorrow
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: Witness Testifies That Lawson and Zoellner Were Grappling as the Victim Bled; Police Officer Describes Chaotic Crime Scene
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: Friends Testify on ‘Girl Fight’ Between Lawson and Zoellner’s Girlfriends Prior to Fatal Stabbing
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: More Testimony on the Knife Found at the Scene; Lawson’s Friend Testifies He Saw Zoellner Drop Something Shiny
- Judge Dismisses Case Against Kyle Zoellner, McKinleyville Man Arrested in Stabbing Death of HSU Student David Josiah Lawson
- Arcata’s Police Chief, Vice Mayor React to Zoellner Hearing Ruling
- ARCATA MURDER HEARING: Kyle Zoellner to Be Released After Judge Reinholtsen Rules Not Enough Evidence to Hold Him For Stabbing Death of Josiah Lawson
- (PHOTOS) Protesters March Through Arcata Demanding ‘Justice for Josiah’
- HSU Faculty, UPD, Brothers United Participate in Radio Town Hall on Lawson Case Tonight; Arcata Mayor Releases Statement; HSU Walk Out Planned Tuesday
- (PHOTOS/VIDEO) After Busy Week, Family and Friends of Josiah Lawson Still Seeking Justice
- Josiah Lawson’s Mother Offers $10k Reward for Information Leading to the Conviction of Son’s Killer
- Arcata Calls in Outside Investigators, Approves $21K Reward for Info Leading to Conviction of Lawson Killer
- Kyle Zoellner Appears in Court to Request Law Enforcement Return His Cell Phone, Laptops; Judge Says No
- (VIDEO) This Morning’s Lawson Murder Press Conference Offers Few Updates
- Public Investigator Working With APD in Josiah Lawson Case
- Kyle Zoellner, Once Suspected of Homicide in David Josiah Lawson Slaying, Files Claim Against City of Arcata For Defamation, Pain and Suffering, Emotional Distress
- DA: Grand Jury Declines to Indict Anyone in David Josiah Lawson Case
- HSU President Responds to DA’s Lawson Case Announcement
- APD: We Won’t Stop Investigating the Josiah Lawson Murder
- (VIDEO) Justice for Josiah Activists Hold First Monthly Vigil Since Grand Jury Decision; Charmaine Lawson Vows to Keep Fighting