The jury trial for vehicular manslaughter suspect Marcia “Marci” Kitchen should begin as scheduled on May 29, Kitchen’s new attorney said during a status hearing this morning.
“At this time we’re prepared to confirm,” Deputy Conflict Counsel Meagan O’Connell told visiting Judge Bruce Watson. O’Connell took over the Kitchen case in early March after her two private attorneys withdrew, saying Kitchen could no longer afford to pay them.
O’Connell said she plans to meet later this month with Deputy District Attorney Stacey Eads, the prosecutor, “to make sure I have all the discovery that she has.”
She also is in the process of “securing” defense experts for the trial, O’Connell told the judge.
The courtroom was packed with spectators during the brief hearing.
Kitchen, 40, is accused of running over and killing her daughter Kiya Kitchen and Kiya’s friend Faith Tsarnas on the evening of July 12, 2016, on Eel River Drive. It’s alleged Kitchen was driving drunk and fled the scene after her Jeep struck the girls.
She was arrested two months later, after the California Highway Patrol completed its investigation. Kitchen posted $750,000 bail and remains out of custody
Kiya Kitchen and Tsarnas, both 14, had been skateboarding on Eel River Drive when they were hit from behind.
A trial confirmation hearing is scheduled for May 7.
- Fortuna Fatal Hit-and-Run: CHP Seeks Public’s Help in Tracking Down Marcia Kitchen and Josh Pearlston
- Marci Kitchen, Suspect in Death of Two Girls in Fortuna, Arrested on Vehicular Manslaughter Charges, Released on Bail
- Marci Kitchen Will be Arraigned This Afternoon on Numerous Charges, Including Gross Vehicular Manslaughter, Sheriff’s Office Says
- Marci Kitchen Arraigned for Killing Her Daughter, Another Teen in Hit-and-Run
- Marcia ‘Marci’ Kitchen Hearing Postponed Until March
- Facing Charges of Killing Her Own Daughter and Another Teen in Hit-and-Run, Marcia Kitchen Files Claims For Damages Due to Road Conditions
- Kitchen Trial Delayed Again; Preliminary Hearing on Manslaughter Charges Against Fortuna Mom Now Scheduled For May, Expected to Last Five Days
- Marci Kitchen Has 48 Hours to Hand Over Her Passport
- Marci Kitchen Surrenders Passport, Receives Court Permission to Travel to Oregon for Boyfriend’s Grandmother’s Birthday Party
- KITCHEN CASE: After Much Delay, Five-Day Pretrial Hearing of Accused Drunk-Driving Killer of Two Teenage Girls Will Start May 8
- KITCHEN HEARING DAY ONE: Kitchen Told Friend She ‘Hit the Girls,’ Initially Thought She’d Hit a Deer, CHP Officer Testifies; Collision Scene Described
- KITCHEN HEARING, DAY TWO: Marci Kitchen’s Son Testifies That His Mother Killed His Sister and Her Friend While Drunk, Then Tried to Cover Up the Crime
- KITCHEN HEARING, DAY THREE: Suspect’s Son Cross-Examined By Defense Attorneys, But Judge Holds Kitchen to Answer On All Charges
- Additional Charges Filed Against Marci Kitchen During Today’s Arraignment; Trial Date to Be Decided in June
- Marci Kitchen Trial Date Set for November; Full Proceedings Expected to Last One Month
- Marci Kitchen Trial Delayed Yet Again, After Defense Attorney Raises Questions About CHP Investigation
- Trial of Marci Kitchen Put Off Until May 2018
- Lawyers Quit Marci Kitchen, Say She is Out of Money
- Judge Allows Marci Kitchen’s Lawyers to Quit; Newly Appointed Attorney Says She’ll Be Ready by Scheduled Trial Date
- Judge Rules That Marci Kitchen May Not Travel to Oregon