Rhonda Parker / Thursday, Aug. 9 @ 2:21 p.m. / Courts
Kitchen Trial Attorneys Submit Questions for Potential Jurors Even as Change of Venue Hearing Looms
With a motion for change of venue pending, attorneys are still preparing for a local Sept. 4 jury trial for double-manslaughter suspect Marcia “Marci” Kitchen.
This morning Judge Kaleb Cockrum thanked prosecutor Stacey Eads and defense attorney Meagan O’Connell for submitting proposed questions for jurors in the case, though he said the questions must be “whittled down to a reasonable amount.”
Possible jurors will no doubt be questioned extensively about how much they know about the highly publicized case, and whether they have formed an opinion on Kitchen’s guilt or innocence.
The defense has filed a motion to have Kitchen’s trial moved out of Humboldt County, based on the belief that she can’t get a fair trial here. That motion is scheduled for argument Aug. 27, which also is Kitchen’s 41st birthday.
In the meantime an intervention hearing is set for tomorrow morning, at which “we will discuss settling the case,” Judge Cockrum said. A second hearing is scheduled for Aug. 17 to discuss the jury questionnaires.
It’s been more than two years since Kitchen, allegedly driving drunk, struck and killed her daughter Kiya Kitchen and her friend Faith Tsarnas as the two 14-year-olds skateboarded on Eel River Drive. Kitchen posted $750,000 bail when she was arrested and remains out of custody while awaiting trial.
Kitchen was not in court this morning. Her former husband Joe Kitchen, Kiya’s father, attended the hearing, as did some members of Tsarnas’ family. Mel Pearlston, father of Kitchen’s boyfriend Josh Pearlston, was also in the courtroom audience.
- Fortuna Fatal Hit-and-Run: CHP Seeks Public’s Help in Tracking Down Marcia Kitchen and Josh Pearlston
- Marci Kitchen, Suspect in Death of Two Girls in Fortuna, Arrested on Vehicular Manslaughter Charges, Released on Bail
- Marci Kitchen Will be Arraigned This Afternoon on Numerous Charges, Including Gross Vehicular Manslaughter, Sheriff’s Office Says
- Marci Kitchen Arraigned for Killing Her Daughter, Another Teen in Hit-and-Run
- Marcia ‘Marci’ Kitchen Hearing Postponed Until March
- Facing Charges of Killing Her Own Daughter and Another Teen in Hit-and-Run, Marcia Kitchen Files Claims For Damages Due to Road Conditions
- Kitchen Trial Delayed Again; Preliminary Hearing on Manslaughter Charges Against Fortuna Mom Now Scheduled For May, Expected to Last Five Days
- Marci Kitchen Has 48 Hours to Hand Over Her Passport
- Marci Kitchen Surrenders Passport, Receives Court Permission to Travel to Oregon for Boyfriend’s Grandmother’s Birthday Party
- KITCHEN CASE: After Much Delay, Five-Day Pretrial Hearing of Accused Drunk-Driving Killer of Two Teenage Girls Will Start May 8
- KITCHEN HEARING DAY ONE: Kitchen Told Friend She ‘Hit the Girls,’ Initially Thought She’d Hit a Deer, CHP Officer Testifies; Collision Scene Described
- KITCHEN HEARING, DAY TWO: Marci Kitchen’s Son Testifies That His Mother Killed His Sister and Her Friend While Drunk, Then Tried to Cover Up the Crime
- KITCHEN HEARING, DAY THREE: Suspect’s Son Cross-Examined By Defense Attorneys, But Judge Holds Kitchen to Answer On All Charges
- Additional Charges Filed Against Marci Kitchen During Today’s Arraignment; Trial Date to Be Decided in June
- Marci Kitchen Trial Date Set for November; Full Proceedings Expected to Last One Month
- Marci Kitchen Trial Delayed Yet Again, After Defense Attorney Raises Questions About CHP Investigation
- Trial of Marci Kitchen Put Off Until May 2018
- Lawyers Quit Marci Kitchen, Say She is Out of Money
- Judge Allows Marci Kitchen’s Lawyers to Quit; Newly Appointed Attorney Says She’ll Be Ready by Scheduled Trial Date
- Judge Rules That Marci Kitchen May Not Travel to Oregon
- Kitchen Trial Should Go Forward as Planned Starting May 29, Defense Attorney Tells Judge This Morning
- Kitchen Trial Delayed Again; Accused Killer’s New Attorney Wishes to Explore Different Line of Defense
- New Trial Date for Marci Kitchen
- Marci Kitchen Trial Continued Yet Again; Defense Plans to File Some Kind of Motion Next Month
- Marci Kitchen Defense Attorneys File Change-of-Venue Motion, Ask Judge to Move Manslaughter Trial Out of Humboldt